Classy Cadillacs

this was one sharp ambulance back in its day...we used it as a loaner in Bucyrus before "Whitey" Yaeger bought it for his Lima service. ... As I recall, it had a Federal Q between the tunnels and a 184 on the roof.

Yes, she had holes in the roof for a Q and a 184...and idea where she served originally?

'41 Superior Army ambulance, occupied Germany (unless someone recognizes background building as being in a different occupied European country), early postwar.

41sup2a2.jpg

41sup2b2.jpg

41sup2c2.jpg

Lovelock, NV

'56 Superior ambulance photos taken in 1973. '71 and '72 Superior flower cars were taken by Carl Woerner or Dale Cooper in the mid-'80s.
Kurt

We used to travel thru Lovelock, NV in the late 60's thru mid 70's going to Forest Service and BLM Road Jobs and Fires and saw this ambulance parked on the ramp as it is in the picture many times. It was a BEAUTIFUL Ambulance in those colors a lot better than the now weathered picture depicts. I always wanted to stop and "un-flick" the low-band antenna that was being "tortured" in that position on the roof rather than being coventionally mounted on the RF Fender as most people did for nearly the same range. Lovelock had a HUGE Area to cover with No "Life Flight" Type Helcopters in those days either. Does anyone know it's current status-location? THX-MM

Wow!

REALLY.... I might have to make a heavy donation to their historical society so it can change zip codes to So-Cal!! THANKS STEVE! (ALL) of us really appreciate the time and effort you (and others) put in to these vintage postings that we would never know about otherwise. MM

Okaloosa County A.S. (Ft. Walton Beach, FL)
1966 M-M

Also seen with this way-overlit ambulance (seven beacons, two #18s, and an FL-8!) are a '62 Chevy wagon and a '60 M-M combination. A photo of their '60 Pontiac was just posted in that thread.

(SL collection)

Attachments

• 1966 MM.jpg
    1966 MM.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 813
Okaloosa County A.S. (Ft. Walton Beach, FL)
1966 M-M

Also seen with this way-overlit ambulance (seven beacons, two #18s, and an FL-8!) are a '62 Chevy wagon and a '60 M-M combination. A photo of their '60 Pontiac was just posted in that thread.

(SL collection)

How would you like to pay the "electric bill" on that baby? That one has to eat up batteries and alternators like they're candy. Just add up the amp load and it becomes fairly obvious that when fully lit up, it was running partially out of the batteries most of the time.

I've always liked plenty of lights and all, but WOW, this one goes way past the line.

Those uniforms make them look more like milkmen than ambulance attendants..and no Im not even close to being old enough to remember milk men.

Those jump suits were a common uniform for volunteer ambulance people in the 1950's & 1960's. The jumpsuit is a 100% cotton fabric in a herringbone design. The reason for its popularity, was that you could slip into it over your street clothes, and be ready to roll in just minutes. I only wish that I still had mine from those early days, not that it would fit me today.

Here are some Superior photos I recently acquired. I'm having a little difficulty finding a sizing "sweet spot" with my new scanner. Anyway, here goes.

Here are 1959 and 1960 54" jobs:

(factory photos)

Attachments

• 1959 Superior 54 1.jpg
    1959 Superior 54 1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 798
  • 1960 Superior hightop 1.jpg
    1960 Superior hightop 1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 763
Last edited:
Here are 1963 and 1964 50" cars; the only Kelowna I know of is in British Columbia. I sure would like to know what the colors were on the '64!

(factory photos)

Attachments

• 1963 Superior hightop 1.jpg
    1963 Superior hightop 1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 887
  • 1964 Superior hightop 1A.jpg
    1964 Superior hightop 1A.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 795
Last edited:
Back