Carryall ambulance photos

So last Monday, I found myself in Lewistown, PA for a train excursion. The local ambulance is Fame EMS, and I remembered that I knew the chief of Fame and that they own a '69 Springfield Travelall Intern ambulance. So I made a note that I'd try to get ahold of him.

At the lunch stop for the train in Altoona, PA, I get a tap on my shoulder - "Hey, what's an antique ambulance guy doing riding an antique train?" Sure enough, it was Pat Shoop, Chief of Fame EMS. He was working as one of the medics on the train trip. A little conversation later and it was determined that he'd take me by to see the ambulance when we returned.

Fame Ambulance, once part of Fame Fire Co. in Lewistown, bought the ambulance new from a local International dealer (who still provides the chassis for modern units for them). They sold it to a local steel mill, and when the steel mill was ready to dispose of it, they re-acquired it and restored it. Very nicely done.

Interestingly, most long wheelbase Springfields had a regular TA side door and a panel made from another door panel. This one has an extended side door (only on the right side) with a shorter fill panel. I'm not certain why, but the interior floor has post cups. Could this have been done to accommodate a stair chair in the side door? Was there a stair-chair with posts for cups? Answers, please!

Attachments

• zIMG_3594 - Copy.jpg
    zIMG_3594 - Copy.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 782
  • zIMG_3582 - Copy.JPG
    zIMG_3582 - Copy.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 774
Love those side red lights almost look like turn signals,as for the post cups do not remember stair chairs with posts,however and boy am I dating myself some old Byrd and Bennett resuscitator/ventilators had them cause they where on wheels and had to be locked in position in hospital rooms or they would vibrate away, we had no post cup holders but as we referred to it in ambulance lingo we hog-tied em in the back.

I would've loved that train ride, Steve. Last one I was on was at the meet in Lancaster when we went to the PA RR Museum.

Are those CP100 or 25 speakers on top? Pix like this make me wish I had kept my two old lowtop Internationals years ago.

Check your PM.

stairchair

What an interesting addition to the floor! I've never seen that before. The size and back floor cups could have caught the wheels, we only ever used ferno stair chairs with a curved horizontal bar but maybe they had some rubber feet added to help secure it.

if you recall the road flat. the early 107s has handles like the folding stretcher. they would fit in the cups but I would hate to be the man strapped in it sitting there. these little mystery and what is fun exploring original ambulances. a lot of triel and error to get were we are to day.

Attachments

• ferno #107  portably streacher.jpg
    ferno #107 portably streacher.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 694
They are Travelall turn signals.

I didn't check, but it's a Director siren (seems to have been the Springfield standard), so probably 25s?

I would concur with your CP25 diagnosis, Dr. Lichtman. The last Springfield I got to see up close was a '65 that belonged to North F.H. in Abilene, TX. It didn't have the long stretch. Instead of an electronic siren and speakers it had a C5GB siren over the cab. The last time I was at North's was for a funeral in 1980, and the International was noticeably missing. Found out that Jay North had given it to his brother-in-law for a fishing wagon! Grooooan!

if you recall the road flat. the early 107s has handles like the folding stretcher. they would fit in the cups but I would hate to be the man strapped in it sitting there...
No, that wouldn't be it. When a 107 is in a chair position and sitting upright, the handles are folded inward toward the center. It then sits on the lower wheels and the cross bar under the patient's feet. No posts.

I would concur with your CP25 diagnosis, Dr. Lichtman...
Thank you for the second opinion, Dr. Goulet. ;)

We have an answer!

...I'm not certain why, but the interior floor has post cups. Could this have been done to accommodate a stair chair in the side door? Was there a stair-chair with posts for cups? Answers, please!
We have an answer.

Thanks to Joe Sebbio, who didn't mean to answer the question but did so anyway, the answer is: yes, there was a stair-chair with posts. And here it is.

(Springfield Travelall ambulances came with a stair-chair mounted on the left side door, Fame's has one but I didn't think to check it while I was there.)

This also answers the root question of why the right side door is unusually long on this particular ambulance - to accommodate a patient on this type of stair-chair in the side door. It certainly would not fit through the regular Travelall door. There are wheel cups under the 747 box.

And so, as Mr. Loftin is fond of saying, "you learn something new every day."

Attachments

• stairchair for TA - Copy.jpg
    stairchair for TA - Copy.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 671
Last edited:
We have an answer.

Thanks to Joe Sebbio, who didn't mean to answer the question but did so anyway, the answer is: yes, there was a stair-chair with posts. And here it is.

(Springfield Travelall ambulances came with a stair-chair mounted on the left side door, Fame's has one but I didn't think to check it while I was there.)

This also answers the root question of why the right side door is unusually long on this particular ambulance - to accommodate a patient on this type of stair-chair in the side door. It certainly would not fit through the regular Travelall door. There are wheel cups under the 747 box.

And so, as Mr. Loftin is fond of saying, "you learn something new every day."

Wow! As many times as I've used that particular-style stairchair, I've never noticed those little posts on the bottom. I like the 747, I still have two of them fully stocked that I carry with me.

A co-worker told me about this photo online. It is from Carson City, Michigan (about 30 minutes west of us). What ever happened to this rig is unknown.

Attachments

• old_rescue22[1].jpg
    old_rescue22[1].jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,094
A co-worker told me about this photo online. It is from Carson City, Michigan (about 30 minutes west of us). What ever happened to this rig is unknown.

Judging by those roof side lights this Wayne Sentential ambulance went through Dennis Distributors in Flint Michigan.

Judging by those roof side lights this Wayne Sentential ambulance went through Dennis Distributors in Flint Michigan.

Nice observaton, Jeremy. I like the truck, but it would've looked better with a beacon on the hightop instead of a lightbar.

Over the weekend my friend Barry McRoy, who is fire chief in Walterboro,SC flew to San Jose, CA, where he bought a nice 1972 National hightop Suburban. The original owners had removed the beacon from the hightop along with electronic siren, and replaced the red sealed beams with clear. All he got in the deal was a nice CP25 speaker on top.

As soon as he emails me some pictures of the truck I'll get 'em posted on this thread.

'70 attended (Dutch) Nationale Oldtimerdag in 2012. Last year's meeting took place in Lelystad.

Jan Barnier photographer.

7388832456_10b261ff60_b.jpg

7388831704_b3ddbd1cf3_b.jpg

Individual (Goddard, KS)
1972 Zephyr 54
(ex-Wheeler Co. Rescue Unit; Bartlett, NE)

This vehicle, owned by a retired paramedic, is in very good condition and almost complete. A Twinsonic was originally mounted on the roof. The floor was raised to accommodate two backboards:

(SL photos)

Attachments

• Zephyr 1.jpg
    Zephyr 1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 944
  • Zephyr 2.jpg
    Zephyr 2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 821
  • Zephyr 3.jpg
    Zephyr 3.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 842
Back