So what is the spacing

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
Getting the floors in the Pinner roughed in. All i have is a box of old rollers and two of them were broken. There is a set of holes in the tailgate and the gap plate. Also between the wheel wells, so i know how wide to but them. But i have no ida how far between them length wise they should be. So if some one could measure theres screw hole to screw hole. I would beholden to you.

16" sounds like a more likely number starting at the rear door of the car. You will need more rollers.

I tried that. But with the two fix places in the center, it just doesn't come out. The first set on this on is the tailgate. The next set is on the gap cover plate. Then there are two mounts in the hump between the wheels. Those are the only spots that I have that Pinner put in. The floor from end to end is 9 feet 6 inches. So if I go 20 inches apart on the floor I end up with 16 from the gap plate to the first on one the floor. And about a foot from the headboard. One figures the box overall will come out at the 8-foot range and you are going to lose 6 inches with the slant on the tailgate. So that only gives you a foot to play with. 16 apart left you with no gap in front for the pin. Then right on the crack of the hatch In the rear. The struggle is the space between the wheel wells that have the suspension mounts for the springs under it where Pinner mounted one set of rollers. they are the spacer for the floor over the hump. I get to the computer and post a few pictures.

here is what we started with the only hint was a couple of cut-off tabs up front. no hint of anything on the spare tire well. the framework for 2 rollers on the hump to shallow to mount the roller in but they were level with the real sill. so we guessed they were the floor supports. as the angle coming off from them was even with the top. of them and there was a layer of Portland cement filling in the edges. so everything went flat from them. the rear well was there so the decision was made for a rear hatch. don't know if it had one or not but I repaired the floor so it's using it. we framed it for the hatch. I could use cross pieces for the front floor, but it was 5 ft wide there. so decided a center rail would offer more support. split the weight 3 ways instead of two. we use old bed rails for the runners. nothing stouter then them then cut the floor. the front has to be put in threw the door opening as it's too wide for the rear. the body tapers up from the belt line inside. making it too narrow to get over the wheel wells. so hers is what we started from and here is what we ended up with. I only had 10 rollers that were in a box in the car. with 6 holes all already need them. two of them were broken. I got a set of 10 flip Rollers from Tim. so we are right now planning on putting them on the floor and 4 of the original ones (I think) in the tailgate and gap spacer. I have no idea where they got it but it was blue on its first ride. giving me 12 total. the yellow is set at 20 inches apart the black at 12. The last one ishow we built the edge of the floor on the right side. so you can still remove the spare cover.

IMG_1719.JPGIMG_1728.JPGIMG_1742.JPGIMG_1807.JPGIMG_1815.JPGIMG_1834.JPGIMG_1840.JPGIMG_1785.JPG

The underfloor storage compartment was painted grey with white spatter paint. To duplicate the original look, you need an old paint gun to open the nozzle to allow the spatter paint to come out. Don't use the spray cans because they are water-based paints that will smear if damp. QT GRAY/WHITE SPLATTER PAINT-QT-REQUIRES PAINT TIP 0.080-0.090"(2-2.2MM) https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/search.cgi?part=C8416A

Yes all have is old spray guns. I haven't been able to find a source for the gray and white yet.just the black and blue which it the late 60s. 70s. Nice enough yesterday to get the jams painted. We can let things cure while we do the fenders and and doors.

Back