1963 Pontiac Superior Ambulance

This one was on eBay a few weeks back, was asking $5K and the highest bid was $977......soooo here it is again, albeit about half of what he was asking originally....

http://wyoming.craigslist.org/cto/3080365678.html

'Superior Ambulance Original 389 cid engine CLEAR WYOMING TITLE
Been in this barn for many years, needs radiator, engine turns over, 71000 miles. Listed on eBay item # 320933337799 Check it out and bid
For more information on this or other old cars and trucks CALL JOHN @ 307-689-7415.'

3080365678.html

Not a bad-looking car either!

Paul or Whomever, I can't tell if the picture posted to this thread or not....if not, could you please fix it? Thanks....and yes, I'm using MS IE this time....

Don

Attachments

• superior.jpg
    superior.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 341
Last edited by a moderator:
there has to be a number of these kind of cars threw Wy and eastern Mt. rooting them out is a task. this time of the year getting to them to bring them out is easy enough. if your willing to drive the distence. if you go to look, it's bring your trailer with you. because you don't want to spend the time and money going back home to get it. we have done a lot of take the trailer for a 500 mile ride empty kind of thing. the address for this one is about 3hr away on I90 from me. from there it could be a hr or two any direction to get to the car.

Ed, it's half the distance from you to Gillette than it is for me from the Denver area, about a 6 hour drive to the northeast part of Wyoming. Pretty much almost straight north on I-25...

You don't get much in the way of an ambulance today for $2000. If you can do the majority of the work yourself, it might be a good buy. Like ed said, bring a trailer when you go to look at it. Have some cash in your pocket, and be ready to negotiate.

Is this an Ambulance or what??

So, exactly what kind of vehicle is this anyway? Ambulance? Combination? All that I can tell from the pictures is that it has spotlights on both sides by the front doors....isn't it supposed to have a light on top or something like that if it's an ambulance?? :confused: :stars:

I am inclined to believe that this is a combination car, missing both the gurney and the casket rack. From the looks of the pictures, it is going to take a lot of work to bring it back. Look at the rest of the pictures to see what I am referring to..

with a jump seat, flip over panels and you can see were the cot bar was mounted it was a combination. the nice part of the car is it's limousine style not the landau, makes for driving it around better. it had a big alternator on it. you can see the cradle were it has been removed. some other pieces on the front of the engine are gone also and the water pump looks new. if they did not go in and change the timing chain and grears one would have to expect to do that at least on the poncho. it would depend on were the rest of the parts are if it's a buy or not. for you it's straight up 25 to Douglass then 59 out of there to Gillette the interier is still there but the carpit makes one wounder and it looks like the body is intack. all that is a plus. the motor with accesserys off is a mines. if he had the rest of the car there then it may be worth it if it's a body style you want. me I got a poncho that runs

At least it's been sitting inside a barn to keep the sun off it so that helps more or less with the interior trim condition....it's not like it's been inside a garage where the weather couldn't get to it...

So, exactly what kind of vehicle is this anyway? Ambulance? Combination? All that I can tell from the pictures is that it has spotlights on both sides by the front doors....isn't it supposed to have a light on top or something like that if it's an ambulance?? :confused: :stars:

Don: Did this vehicle ever sell? I know this is an old post, but I just spotted it again. A private ambulance co. in Big Spring had a similar car to this, except theirs was a '64 Consort. My first ambulance was a '63 Consort like this one, except mine was a straight ambulance, not a combo.

Don: Did this vehicle ever sell? I know this is an old post, but I just spotted it again. A private ambulance co. in Big Spring had a similar car to this, except theirs was a '64 Consort. My first ambulance was a '63 Consort like this one, except mine was a straight ambulance, not a combo.

Skip,
According to an e-mail from Don I recieved in Sept 2012,he is no longer a member and has since moved on....

Thanks, James. Just curious to know whatever happened to that car. It looks sooo much like the one my friend had, but his was a '64, and it was a combination. He used it as a transfer car and never put lights or siren on it. In fact, he didn't like sirens on ambulances and actually fired some of his drivers when he caught them using the siren on emergency runs (go figure).

Back