Radio rotary dialer head info wanted

James Fischer

PCS Member
back in the day (late 60s early 70's).....one of the ambulance services I worked for, had Motorola Mocom 70's in the units along with a rotary dialer head......my question is "was the dialer unit made by Motorola or another company ?".......I seem to remember the "HEAR" system was being used but not sure the componants that made that up........
If anyone would have info on a dialer or model #'s etc.....it would be greatly appreciated....it would certainly help in my search for one.....:confused:
Thank you all !!

Yes Motorola did make a dialer

I'm sure some others did too. I may even have one around the garage someplace. The HEAR system was what the communications system was called but didnt have anything to do with the actual componants per say. In my area of Michigan it stood for: Hospital Emergency Administration Radio. Intended for hospitals to use to communicate with each other during disasters and such. Some areas also call it the H E R N system.

Back in the day indeed

Jim- I think I have a photo of one in my 68 Superior on my website. It was a motorola I'm pretty sure. HEAR - I thought it was HARE - who knows- but I'm sure it was an acronym that one of our fellow board members will be able to provide you. When they were dialed, listening (even by scanner) was kind of creepy because you heard the clicks of the dial. That was big technology in the 60's.
Good luck
Kev
http://www.thelynches.org
click on 68 Caddy

HEAR Still Lives....

We still use it as a regional emergency channel amongst the hospitals here in south Louisiana. Cheap bandwidth that everyone has, and when combined with my 7th floor antenna, we have a great range! And point to point comm will survive over cell phone towers IMHO.

Back in the day, and still the code today: encode 16646 for our ER.

We do a regional test every Wednesday at 0900 CST.

Now of course....we also have 700 mHz state trunk, HF, VHF, UHF (Ham), and SATCOM just in case.

IN our area,Niagara county,N.Y. The system was called MERS (Medical emergency radio system).60 watt GE-MASTR mobiles with touch tone dialers,worked like a charm.
system is still in service here,but not used that much anymore.Most of the medics talk direct to ER's on a cellphone.Still comes in handy for mass casualtie situations.

IN our area,Niagara county,N.Y. The system was called MERS (Medical emergency radio system).60 watt GE-MASTR mobiles with touch tone dialers,worked like a charm.
system is still in service here,but not used that much anymore.Most of the medics talk direct to ER's on a cellphone.Still comes in handy for mass casualtie situations.

Denny,
Thanks for that information...interesting......
I used to live in Ransomville.....until father decided he had had enough snow and moved the family to Calif in the late 60's....LOL....
I do remember Buffalo Ambulance though...always wanted to ride with them....:confused:

Jim- I think I have a photo of one in my 68 Superior on my website. It was a motorola I'm pretty sure. HEAR - I thought it was HARE - who knows- but I'm sure it was an acronym that one of our fellow board members will be able to provide you. When they were dialed, listening (even by scanner) was kind of creepy because you heard the clicks of the dial. That was big technology in the 60's.
Good luck
Kev
http://www.thelynches.org
click on 68 Caddy

Thanks Kevin...
I was able to find one on E-Bay back in June..havent seen one since though....

Back