Fender/bumper sirens: Passenger or driver side?

Josh Noiles

PCS Member
Just wondering, as I've seen equal numbers of vehicles set-up either way: aside from working around previously placed lights, equipment etc., are there any pros/cons for installing mechanical sirens on the passenger over the driver side of the fender/bumper or vice versa?

This question has been buggin me for a while. Please give me any insight, preferences, experiences etc! :)

If you put a Q siren on the fender,vibration city,visual obstruction,and we once had a siren on the passenger side fender,and the duufus that put in on cut the corner of the siren so the hood could go up.Just some points to ponder.:myopinion:

Right on! :) Thanks Wayne! Ok, what about bumper mounting where visibility / hood opening isn't an issue? Any reason why fire depts. (for example) choose one side or another?

I will leave that for the fire buffs, and pros in our club to respond,most Ontario ambulances have bumper mounted sirens,have had slush issues with that,but on slushy,sloppy days your pro-car should be kept in a warm garage,being polished..

are you talking about this, M&M made a special bracket so it would clear the hood and function vibration free.

myambulances053110006.jpg

At least in my area, it seems like most everything had the siren on the roof. But those that did have a fender-mount siren always seem to have it on the driver's side. When a fender-mount Q2B siren was added to my Studebaker Ambulet (really!!!!) from Minnesota, it also was on the driver's side.

I can only guess that 1) visibility is better, easier to see around, and/or 2) the wiring run from the floor button or horn solenoid is shorter.

My uncle worked for Shaffer ambulance in LA in the mid 50s he told me that the sirens were mounted on the passenger side so it was the furthest it could be from the driver. Being that the siren was out on the right side, he could open the drivers window and had a better chance of hearing other sirens from other emergency vehicles approaching. Overhead Mounted sirens were louder for the driver and left mounted sirens were vision obstructers. He said it reduced emergency vehicle to emergency vehicle crashes. I don't know if that is exactly true but it makes sense.

everyone had there own thoughts for doing what they did. the manufactures did all they could to accommodate any request. there is no real reasoning for any of it except just because and I want.

Back