Collector plates on your procar?

Kurt Halverson

PCS Northland Chapter President
I am not sure what is available in other states, but here in Minnesota you can get "collector plates" for your vehicle if it is 20 years old or older. The advantage of having plates like these is that you do not need to buy tabs every year. I have been told different things by different people, but it sounds like these plates are meant for limited use vehicles. Some people say that you can't drive your collector car to work, so say that you are only supposed to by using the car for parades and car shows when you have these plates.
So my question is: What do you have for plates on your procar and why?
Thank you!
Kurt

Just registerd my 64 in KANSAS. I bought a 1964 plate with our county, I use it like a regular plate, only pay antique rate of $24.00 per year. No limitations on driving. What deal, finally.

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 597
I have antique plates on my truck, and have had them on the last 2 Pro-Cars I have owned, along with a couple other old trucks I have owned, and will be putting them on the Superior when it is ready for the road again. In Tennessee and Kentucky both, if you have antique plates, you never have to renew them. They do tell you that you are only suppose to drive it for parades and car shows, and some will say weekend driving only, but everything i have owned with antique plates, has ben driven when ever and where ever with no trouble. I actually sold a truck to a good friend of mine a couple years ago that had antique plates on it, and he ran my plate on it for about 6 months using it as a every day driver, and never had any problems. Some states may inforce it, but for the most part, I know Tennessee and Kentucky doesn't. And having them on a Pro-Car, its probly even less likely to be inforced. I know Tennessee also will let you run the correct year plate for your car, as long as you have the antique plate in the car.

Josh

You can get them here in Florida but I like my personalized plate on the Lifeliner. Photo compliments of Attila at the Hudson, OH PCS meet.

Attachments

• dsc05526wp.jpg
    dsc05526wp.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 602
Washington state

In Washington, you can use a "year of manufacturer" plate or a Collector vehicle plate. There is no expiration on them and you dont pay a yearly renewal fee. They are a limited use plate, meaning to & from car shows, parades, organized club events AND the occassional sunny day drive. They are NOT meant for every day use but this is rarely enforced. Vehicles must be 30 years old or older to get these. There is a one time fee when putting them on the car but I forget what it is. I have them on my 71 Lincoln & 65 Caddy

I have antique plates on my truck, and have had them on the last 2 Pro-Cars I have owned, along with a couple other old trucks I have owned, and will be putting them on the Superior when it is ready for the road again. In Tennessee and Kentucky both, if you have antique plates, you never have to renew them. They do tell you that you are only suppose to drive it for parades and car shows, and some will say weekend driving only, but everything i have owned with antique plates, has ben driven when ever and where ever with no trouble. I actually sold a truck to a good friend of mine a couple years ago that had antique plates on it, and he ran my plate on it for about 6 months using it as a every day driver, and never had any problems. Some states may inforce it, but for the most part, I know Tennessee and Kentucky doesn't. And having them on a Pro-Car, its probly even less likely to be inforced. I know Tennessee also will let you run the correct year plate for your car, as long as you have the antique plate in the car.

Josh

Yeah, what he's a sayin!!!!:agree:

Here in PA they have Antique, Classic, Collector, and Street Rod plates. There are restrictions on most all of them, i.e. mileage per year, time of day you can drive (like not after dark), etc. The good things about them is a one time fee and no yearly inspection as with regular plates. I just got a personalized plate on my car so I don't have to worry about mileage, and all of those other rules.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 548
Pic of the Antique plate on the step-father's car. With this plate, one time fee, limited mileage, no yearly inspection, no after dark driving unless it is from a car show or event.

Attachments

• PCS2009 058.jpg
    PCS2009 058.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 631
In Ohio we have "historical vehicle" plates. They are less than $20.00 and don't expire for 50 years so you don't buy a renewal sticker yearly for them. The restriction is "to and from parades and special events" but the only enforcement is if you are seen driving your historical vehicle daily for an extended period of time.
Also, if you can find a good matched set of year-specific plates for your car you can take that set to the DMV and have them registered to the car and keep one of your historical vehicle plates inside the car for reference if needed.
I run historical vehicle plates or year-specific plates on all my rides...

3494875083_34a1878848_b.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

Maryland has "Historic" tags for vehicles 20 years and older. No inspection and $51 for two years. Similar limitations on driving as those mentioned above. A few years ago, the requirement changed from 25 years old to 20. Since the change, I've seen a lot of 20-25 year old cars with "Historic" tags being driven daily, so it's obviously not enforced here, either. Year of manufacture plates are also permitted.

Once a vehicle reaches 50 (?) years old, it qualifies for a permanent registration decal.

Thank you everyone for the great input! It sounds like the consensus is that it's much cheaper to get the collector plates, and as long as you don't use your car for extended periods as a daily driver you are fine.
Thanks again everyone!
Kurt

Vermont also has antique plates, at about 1/3 of the yearly registration fee for regular plates, but you are limited to traveling to and from shows and parades. I'm not sure it is enforced very well, but I didn't want the limitations, so I stuck with the standard plates. As an aside, when I registered the car, DMV had a tough time deciding what the "model" and "body style" of my car was, as ambulance is not a choice in the computer system for Cadillacs. After some discussion with the manager of the office, I was asked if it had provisions for seating in the back. I told them it had a bench seat for the attendant. That made it a "limo" model, and a "station wagon" body style. If it didn't have the seat, it would have been classified as a cargo van, and I would have had to get truck plates, which I think would have been more likely to attract unwanted attention from the state police.

all mine end up station wagon also. the other choice is the commercial tags at there rate. in Sd as some of the others you can license a car with a matching set of year tag or they issue you the black and orange Hx tags. there is a limit to what you can drive them to and from events and in organised events type of wording. it also stated you can drive them to get gas. 14 bucks for a life time tag. I have been known to get gas far away from home. here are the tage for my 72 as soon as I get it home.

Attachments

• 1972 historical tags.jpg
    1972 historical tags.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 187
We have Historic Plates, they cost $44 forever, as long as you renew them every three years and the the vehicles are exempt from state inspection. There are restrictions, such as; annual mileage limitation, useage limitations and a vehicle must be at least twenty five years old. I always have Historic Plates on the cars that qualify.
There are other plates with different qualifications and status like; Collector, Street Rod, etc, but I do not know anything about them.

Here is a photo of RI antique plates. They are for limited use, and up to 1000 miles a year. I can't remember what they cost, I'm sure it will change when it come time time to re-register the car, thanks to our own special breed of scumbag politicians here in the Ocean State.

Attachments

• 63-55.jpg
    63-55.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 161
NH is similar to many other States. Car must be 25 years or older to qualify for Antique plates. These come with most of the restrictions mentioned previously. They are less expensive, and only require inspection every other year (I think), I get it checked every year for my own peace of mind. I opted for Antique plates on the Flower Car but regular on the Limo - I like to load up the big girl and go to lunch or a show with a bunch of friends. I like to make an entrance and don't want to be outside the "lines". We are allowed to use year correct plates on the front with state permission. I find the insurance companies are more restrictive than the State.
An aside to the RI politicians observation - we empathize, but truth is we all have 'em.

If you register a car with collector plates in MN you do not pay sales tax on the purchase price of the car, only a registration fee that I think is $90.00. I think this would be the same fee if you already own the car. The definition in the MN law for collector plates is that the vehicle may not be used for general transportation purposes. So, with that I think it is pretty open just a long you don't drive it to work everyday!

I just got my renewal form for the "Early American" collector license plates for my car, and it is now $90 for 2 years. I have to pay the town excise tax on the value of the car which is $500 if you have collector plates on it. The rate is $18.00 per thousand dollars of value. If I didn't have collector plates on the car, then it would be the actual value as determined by the town tax assessor, which means "the sky is the limit".

Last time I checked on antique plates( a few years ago now),they told me I'd be exempt from an inspection for X number of years,but would have to pay a fee equal to the cost of the inspections I would not have to have.I figured I'm paying for the inspection anyway,might as well get it.Maybe they'll see something I miss. So I still drive around with ordinary plates.

Back