What should I stock this cabinet with?

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
Now that I have the cabinet restored, what do you suggest I use to stock this cabinet?

picture.php

couple of foam neck braces and stop the big bleeder stuff. along with your O2 supplies masks cannula's. don't over do it it looks better with a few things. then cramed full

I'd add an airway kit if you have one. The old school Hudson set in the plastic box with foam cut-out inserts for the complete airway set.

A vintage BVM...black Ohio model would work.

If your car doesn't have a piped suction, then a foot operated one.

Like Ed says,you don't want to cram it full but you could also consider a maternity kit, a burn kit and small dressings kit with cloth tape.

I can help you with a few of these items if you can't find them in your store room...I mean basement.

Bill

I do have to ask? the O2 bottles are painted right for were the car is? as far as I know we have always been green down here. but that plastic bib and singly gage regulator has to go. great job on the cabinet. same rail as this one.

Set the airway kit on top, you can still buy the Hudson Lifesaver kits - I keep one in the ambulance; and we have extras just b/c their specific brand of airways are expensive. Anyhoo.. Put the oxygen stuff in with the tank on the small shelves; and nearly organize your single stock items on the top wide shelf; and your kitted items on the bottom shelf. Like they said, the OB (Maternity) kit, foam collars, burn kit, etc.. Few bottles (yes bottles) of saline, because that would be keeping with what you'd have with a burn kit from that era.

I only commented b/c I'm anal about stocking our ambulance. I believe that each cabinet has a purpose, and it's location is key for a reason. Used to have a county wide set up policy, so no matter whose ambulance you were in, you knew where everything was. I still adhere to that.

We have several white D cylinders, but simple bumping of them shows they were painted white over green. I was thinking white for medical oxygen, vs welding oxygen. Welding oxygen tanks are green too, and we always had (up until about five years ago) steel tanks with a while ring. Both onboard and portable. But since we switched to aluminum tanks, they come like heat sealed, instead of painted.

Ed: The Canadian Standard for medical oxygen tanks are either all white or a white neck. At work, all of our "M" cylinders are green with a white neck and our "D" cylinders are mostly aluminum with a white neck, although we see the odd metal all white "D" once in a while.

Bill: I've added a few items since you were last here. One never has enough items!

Based on the feedback received (thanks everyone) here is what I came up with for the oxygen regulators:

Float type oxygen regulator on the left and positive pressure device on the right. Is the positive pressure device overkill?

picture.php

As for stocking the cabinet,

1. Foam collars besides the left oxygen tank
  2. Nasal cannula, simple face mask, mask for the positive pressure device and Brook airway besides the right oxygen tank
  3. Top Shelve - Pressure dressings, all 1961 & 1962 vintage
  4. Middle Shelve - 4x4s, cisors and tape, triangular bandages
  5. OPAs, Ohio BVM in original metal case

picture.php

now that looks nice. thanks for the info might save my life some day. the plastic bib has to go, you need a brass one. I'll send you one if you can't find any. to me it should be one bottle hooked up one still in the wrapper. but it looks Ok this way to. the wrench or wheel to turn on the bottles would be on a chain on the yoak

Jean-Marc, I don't think the positive pressure device is overkill. I recall we had this setup in our units in the early '70s, when most of the cars we were running were still of '60s vintage.

here was the set up on the 72 when I had it. I never did find the correct humidifier. it would have been a metal lid with the off set opening and a mason jar type container. those that should know told me that 72 was a swap over year. the one pt use plastic was just starting to make it appearance in 72 and not widely used till later.

Attachments

• IMG_4270a.jpg
    IMG_4270a.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 85
now that looks nice. thanks for the info might save my life some day. the plastic bib has to go, you need a brass one. I'll send you one if you can't find any. to me it should be one bottle hooked up one still in the wrapper. but it looks Ok this way to. the wrench or wheel to turn on the bottles would be on a chain on the yoak

Found a brass bib for the regulator and a couple of wrench also. I'm sending two "D" and two "E" cylinders to get sandblasted tomorrow. I hope to get them back early next week so i can get them painted and mounted in the cabinet.

Back