Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Website Member

Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 2 Posts
Default Pro-car transport?

I have been having a surprising amount of trouble finding reasonable transport for a '68 Superior high-top from Seattle to Pittsburgh. I had a broker and everything was set, but now the transporter has backed out claiming it is too large, despite having made sure they had all the dimensions. Has anyone used a good service that was a decent price?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:51 PM
PCS Life Member

Thanked 2,328 Times in 957 Posts
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Evans View Post
I have been having a surprising amount of trouble finding reasonable transport for a '68 Superior high-top from Seattle to Pittsburgh. I had a broker and everything was set, but now the transporter has backed out claiming it is too large, despite having made sure they had all the dimensions. Has anyone used a good service that was a decent price?
Sancrest in Billings, Mo. They deliver alot of the new hearses and limo's so they are used to the bigger cars.
The Following User Says Thank You to Danny Ryder For This Useful Post:
Jim Staruk (08-04-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 11:57 PM
PCS Pacific Northwest Chapter President

Thanked 2,003 Times in 811 Posts
Groans: 16
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts

Try Tami Fawcett. She is Washington State based phone # 509-952-2149
Old 08-04-2011, 02:03 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,345 Times in 335 Posts
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just had my '59 Comet Oldsmobile hearse delivered on Monday from Oregon to Arizona. The guy I used came recommended on this site by Atilla last year, and I was very happy with his service. He says he has hauled a lot of hearses over the years, and has transported cars to every State in the continental US except Maine. He is a one-man operation, based out of Denver, and has a 20 foot open trailer towed by a Ford cargo van. His rate is 75 cents per mile, which I believe is very reasonable in this business. His name is Martin, and he can be reached at 720 280-1010.

Terry
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terry Lange For This Useful Post:
Brendan Martin (08-04-2011), John ED Renstrom (08-04-2011)
Old 08-04-2011, 11:26 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,385 Times in 610 Posts
Groans: 0
Default transport

I just used SanCrest last year to get my 61 M-M home from Georgia. That was a 550 miles trip. The price was very reasonable compared to the other quotes I had gotten. The driver struck me as a person who wanted to do a good job for his customers. he did spend about an hour asking questions about what would make a person want a hearse. He was also interested in finding out more about the car. I would not hesitate to call them again if I needed their services.
Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Stevens For This Useful Post:
Jim Staruk (08-04-2011)
Old 08-04-2011, 12:01 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 5,672 Times in 2,096 Posts
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

I called Sancrest and they passed the haul out to Rebel Yell Transport out of TX. He happened to be in Iowa and my car was close by in Nebraska.

The guy was real good and nice. He ended up telling me this had to have been the most attention he has had in a very long time hauling my 60 S/S hearse.
He said every stop for food or gas had someone asking questions.
He also hung out with me for 2 hours after talking about cars and hauls he has done.

His biggest nightmares are picking up EBAY cars. They look great in photos but are often rust buckets with rotted out frames !

Rebel Yell - Kathy - 972-264-3977
James is her husband who drives their hauler. Very nice truck and 8 car trailer ! Peterbuilt The truck and trailer is 70' long !!! Way over the max but there is a loop hole in the measuring laws.

NOTE !!!

ALL TRUCKING COMPANIES WILL TAKE THE ORDER !
BUT WILL OFTEN PASS OFF THE WORK TO WHOEVER IS CLOSES TO THE PICK-UP LOCATION WITH ROOM TO GET A CAR !
THAT WAY THEY GET THEIR KICK-BACK FEE FOR THE ORDER.

WHO YOU CALL MAY NOT DELIVER YOUR CAR !

ALSO, IT MAY BE PICKED UP BY ONE TRANSPORT COMPANY AND BE DELIVERED TO A HOLDING AREA WHERE ANOTHER TRANSPORT COMPANY WILL PICK IT UP AND DELIVER IT !

ALL THIS IS JUST TO MAKE YOU AWARE OF THE REALITY OF IT ALL !
NOT TO SCARE YOU !

I have had good luck once and bad luck once with a car shipment.

Rebel Yell did a great job with my 60 from Nebraska on an open carrier !

I forgot the guys name who moved my 62 from Washington State in a enclosed trailer.
Both sides of the car between the doors rubbed on the inner aluminum fender wells of the trailer wheels and marked both sides.

I didn't notice the damage until later but I do know why he wanted the money up front before unloading the car. He knew it was damaged.

When I spoke to the guy I got the car from after it arrived, I told him about the rubbing and he said the driver told him it wouldn't rub and would be OK. The guy I bought the car from said it looked to tight when it was loaded and that's why he mentioned it.

I haven't fixed it yet and there is still some aluminum on both sides of the car where it rubbed the inner trailer fender skirts.

Oh well, live and learn.

Just giving my experiences so others are aware of possibilities of having a car shipped.

Hope it helps,
Darren

1960 Cadillac S/S Victoria 3way Hearse
1960 Cadillac MM Futura Hearse
1962 Cadillac MM Landau Hearse
1962 Cadillac MM Futura Hearse
1973 Cadillac Superior 3way Hearse
Old 08-04-2011, 12:14 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 5,672 Times in 2,096 Posts
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

My last haul in June 2011 was about a 1.00 a mile.

Sancrest is likely the most used and recommended.

The rate for .75 a mile is likely the cheapest you will find.

Let us know how it goes and the price you paid.

An easy way to find out how far it is between the pick up and drop off locations is to google map the two addresses.
Super easy and incredibility fast !

One more thing...
THIS ALL DEPENDS ON HOW FAST YOU WANT THE CAR TOO !

Best of luck,
Darren

1960 Cadillac S/S Victoria 3way Hearse
1960 Cadillac MM Futura Hearse
1962 Cadillac MM Landau Hearse
1962 Cadillac MM Futura Hearse
1973 Cadillac Superior 3way Hearse
Old 08-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Website Member

www.ezautoshippers.com. They beat SanCrest by almost $100. Speak to Steve. $700 from WI to NC, even after I changed the deliver-to address, which was farther than the initial address.

Steve said some folks charge your credit card as soon as you give them the card number, then charge a fee if you back out of the deal. He said they don't do that, and that they don't charge the card until the vehicle is delivered. He stayed in contact with me all along the way of transport.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Ramsey For This Useful Post:
Kent Dorsey (08-13-2013)
Old 08-04-2011, 01:50 PM
PCS Life Member

Groans: 4

It is looking like if you're only shopping based on a decent price, open transport and $.75 will be the cheapest available.

I paid FedEx Custom Critical $1.01 per mile for enclosed transport from California to Michigan. I should mention here that Hagerty policy holders get a 10% discount. (I did not know that at the time so the $1.01 may have been lower.) The car was picked up three days after I ordered the service and was delivered to me 10 days later. I received several emails and telephone calls from the date of hire to the day of delivery updating me on progress / location.

Everyone has different experiences with even the same company so I hesitate to "recommend" someone. I will say that if I ever need auto transport again, I will not hesitate to hire FedEx.
Attached Images

1972 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1972 S&S Cadillac Victoria Landau
1980 Cadillac Fleetwood Limousine
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevin M. Parkinson For This Useful Post:
Brendan Martin (08-04-2011), Darren Bedford (08-04-2011), Scott Crittenden (08-04-2011)
Old 08-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Website Member

I've had great experiences with Executive Auto Shippers, I found them via uship.com I paid for open transport and they showed up with an enclosed trailer from Cali to Ohio. Very reasonable prices and extremely easy to deal with!