Are heavy duty rims necessary?

I ask because after inspecting my rims today, out of the 6 I have only 2 that have the H stamped next to the valve stem. So if I'm running the correct tires (8.90x15) then are they really needed or can I run with what's on the car?

I ask because after inspecting my rims today, out of the 6 I have only 2 that have the H stamped next to the valve stem. So if I'm running the correct tires (8.90x15) then are they really needed or can I run with what's on the car?

If General Motors didn't think that they were necessary, they wouldn't have gone to the expense to produce them. I don't know if the "H" on your rim is the designation for Heavy Duty, but I do know that the Commercial Chassis rims on the Cadillac have riveted centers and are made of a heavier gauge of steel. I know that this answer will not be popular with folks that change the stock rims out for some designer rims, however, we are all responsible for our own actions. If a lesser quality rim fails, and you are involved in an accident, then you will be the one that takes the responsibility. In todays litigious society, not only might you be sued, but some state prosecutor looking to make a name for him / her self, might just haul you into criminal court with a charge of reckless endangerment. You might not be found guilty, but you will spend a lot of money defending yourself.
Also, just because you find a Commercial Chassis rim that has the same bolt pattern as your car, doesn't mean that it is correct for your car. There are other areas to be concerned with, such as off set, rim width, center set back for proper installation of the wheel cover, etc.. Not all parts are created equal, even though they look the same.

Understood Paul, that's why I always check the load capacity before ordering aftermarket wheels. Miamitown is a heavy beast, but the rims are rated at 2100lbs apiece load capacity. The hearse & service car also weigh well under their wheels' weight capacity. Thanks for reminding us to always check weight ratings!

Miamitown had hearse rims all the way around, but the fronts were a different offset from the rears. 2 have rivets on the inside, the other 2 are a reverse offset with rivets on the outside, thought that was odd. The rims Todd has are all the same offset, for drum brakes, and accept both a small center cap or full hubcaps (AKA wheel covers) just threw that out there for Loren if he wants to find a set locally & the offset works for him.

Commercial Chassis rims had a drilled hole in the bolt circle.
Look for a small hole drilled in the center.

Maybe someone can post a photo. I will in a couple days
when I get to my cars if no ones does before me.

Darren

All the true commercial chassis wheels that I've seen have these rivets. That's what I always look for. Tom

Attachments

• DSC_0055.jpg
    DSC_0055.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 480
the 3 rivets were how it was explained to me also. but were did you find the correct 890 x 15 tires? they would be 8 ply with a load rating of 2400lb at 25 psi if I remember right off the top of my head. the wheel thing to me is way moot now as you can't get a tire heavy enough to hold the car anyway. 4 wheels alike with the same offset is what is required and a decent set of springs. tires run at max air pressure recommended for the load. I blew one out on the limo coming home form the Northland meet. 215 x 14 that when I checked the side could carry 1680 lb if you had 44 psi in it. one really needs to check the load rating at what PSI. when you buy tires. at 35 on this car you went down the road like a basketball, 44 would be like a rock across the pond.

if it was me I would get 4 wheels alike hope fully with the 3 rivets in each wheel.
but the ones that came with my 72 Seville were only 2 rivets. the 72 ambulance had the 3 rivets. the wheels look the same.

tom you need to clean out those hitch hikers. cross state line with then you could be arrested

tom you need to clean out those hitch hikers. cross state line with then you could be arrested

Ed, I didn't notice them when taking the picture, and shortly afterward they crossed 3 state lines going to CLC in Kansas City, and 3 state lines back. Tom

thanks I just had two of them off this 63 and the hole is there on them. i got to reading the side wall of the firestone ex load tires on it, there good for 2100 at 41 psi.

commercial rims

What Paul said. A hearse and parts dealer told me the interchange for 61 rims ran from 1961 through 1965. I figure he knows his business. I checked an interchange book and got the same info.
I do know that 'normal' Cadillac/GM wheels will fit on our coaches. My 61 had 1949 wheels and accessory Cadillac wire hub caps at one time.
Now I have the correct factory commercial wheels in place and feel ok with them.
After all these years it is still a good idea to inspect your wheels whether oringinals or after market type. Metal fatigue and stress can cause problems when you least expect it. I had 2 wheels over time that split at the bead. The tire never came off the wheel. Neither time was it sitting in the driveway. So check your wheels from time to time. Is once a year enough? Only you can answer that.
Mike

Not to hijack this thread in any way, but what does a CC rim usually sell for? I have one I have considered selling, removed from a 60 Superior 3 way.

like anything else

Like anything else a CC rim will sell for what you are willing to take for it. I think Paul got a bargain. The one I got last year was a bit more but I needed one for my spare tire. Mine was $35. I thought that was a fair price. The thing is there were 5 on each coach. Even though they are more rare than the standard wheels you have to consider the demand for replacements. This is a case of rarity does not make it overly valuable. Consider the condition of the wheel and go from there.
Mike

:my2cents:

Last edited:
Rims

Commercial Chassis rims had a drilled hole in the bolt circle.
Look for a small hole drilled in the center.

Maybe someone can post a photo. I will in a couple days
when I get to my cars if no ones does before me.

I have some early rims 62 and 65 and a set from a 74 . All the early rims have a hole but the late model one does not , there is a dimple on the 74 rim but no hole drilled most of the CC rims I have seen are grey and the 3 rivets per spoke seems to be the key for me.The back spacing was just a quick reference . I need to find my straight edge for a good measurement.

62 Rim

65 Rim

74 Rim No Hole

Attachments

• DSC07329.jpg
    DSC07329.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC07332.jpg
    DSC07332.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC07328.jpg
    DSC07328.jpg