Freedom House Enterprise, Inc. - Pittsburgh, PA

Steve Loftin

PCS Member
Site Supporter
From another thread, in order not to hijack it:

You'll have to review the history, to find that pre-hospital (Paramedic) care as we know it today, really started in 1965, in Pittsburgh, with the creation of Freedom House Ambulance Service (1967-1975)

Here, unemployed and often "at-risk" men were recruited from the poorer communities in Pittsburgh and trained by Peter Safar, MD (father of CPR) and Nancy Caroline, MD (Emergency Care in the Streets) and Don Benson, MD. For nearly 2 years these people were trained at Presbyterian University Hospital prior to beginning the first ALS service in early 1967.

Part of Dr. Safar's vision was to create a vehicle, capable of carrying the ALS equipment and having the ability/room to perform advanced life support in the field. FHA had 3 units that I remember. They were comprised of International (bread truck) followed by two van style ambulances that were adapted specifically for this purpose.

You're close...their first two rigs were International Travelalls, as can be seen below. Here is their website:

http://www.freedomhousedoc.com/index.html

I've been looking for the documentary mentioned therein for a couple of years now but have yet to find one for sale. All I can find is the trailer, which is worth watching:

http://www.imdb.com/video/wab/vi50594329/

Does anyone here know if it has been released, and if so, where and how to get a copy?

Attachments

• FHAS first day.jpg
    FHAS first day.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 387
  • FHPoster04.jpg
    FHPoster04.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Wow!

That was very interesting. Sounded like a progressive program is so many ways. What a shame it failed. Sounds like the never ending barriers finally took their toll.

more Freedom House

I just went through several pages looking for Freedom House. The best info says it has not yet been released. If anyone has a film industry connection maybe they could check on the release date. Maybe we need to let someone know we want to see the movie.
Lots of info on Google about this program.
The best on the movie says TBA...to be announced.
Mike

Back