What are these for?

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
As you can see in the attached pictures, there are two holes that are located on the bulkhead between the medicine cabinet and the sliding windows.

I thought that they were for oxygen tanks, but the bottom of the holes is the floor in the cab area, way to high for an E cylinder.

Any ideas what these are for?

picture.php

picture.php

That was my first thought, but they go all the way to the floor of the cab area for a total of 32". The E cylinders are about 26". There might have been some kind of bracket behind the driver's seat to hold oxygen tanks, but there are no signs of brackets or other things of that nature behind there.

The medicine cabinet originally had space for one E cylinder. The space for the second cylinder was added later.

If the holes were round, I'd agree they were there to hold oxygen bottles. However with the back side being "squared off" I have to think they are for something else. I'll "ponder" on it for a bit, and search the old memory to see what comes up.

Has to be something done by Superior for some reason. To clean looking of an install job on the trim to have been added by someone later on in service.

Has to be something done by Superior for some reason. To clean looking of an install job on the trim to have been added by someone later on in service.

I think you are correct Jeremy. As you can see from the picture below, the second oxygen tank installation was a "custom" job. They took the torches to the cabinet shelves to make space for the tank:pat:.

picture.php

are there any holes a about he right height for the shelf or a double bottle holder. don't forget the d size to. they used the bigger bottles in some. the rounded front would make it easier to slid the bottle in from the cab. but they would have had to be locked in place some how. what is the small square to the drivers side? would that be for the O2 line to go down to the Ohio fitting?

are there any holes a about he right height for the shelf or a double bottle holder. don't forget the d size to. they used the bigger bottles in some. the rounded front would make it easier to slid the bottle in from the cab. but they would have had to be locked in place some how.

I'll go look for signs of brackets again tomorrow. I looked before but did not see anything.

If this was for oxygen cylinders, it would have to be for D size cylinders because there is not enough space between to top of the bulkhead and the bottom of the overhead cabinets to fit an E cylinder, unless they would have loaded the cylinders from the cab instead of from the patient care area.

what is the small square to the drivers side? would that be for the O2 line to go down to the Ohio fitting?

I believe that is where the vacuum line to the suction unit came out.

that was my thought on the fitting. it might have been a port to. the D bottles would have loaded form the cab and slid up threw the cabinet. then clamped behind the seat. they most likely made this change to make it easier to toss in a set and go. her is a pictures of the port for the suction on the 72 cb. but that one does look more like a pass threw

Attachments

• 1972 CB suction unit port.jpg
    1972 CB suction unit port.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 150
I would think that the shelf holes would make good brackets. The car is not going to go upside down, so why clamp the bottle down, if there is a deep pocket to put the bottle.

I would think that the shelf holes would make good brackets. The car is not going to go upside down, so why clamp the bottle down, if there is a deep pocket to put the bottle.

the problem is there is no bottom on the holes except the floor behind the seat. no one makes a bottle that long that small around. they would not place a gas bottle loose in a moving unless it was in a pocket deep enough to only let the regulator clear. but in the same token I have a round hole like that in this 63 I can't understand why either.

Back