Classy Cadillacs

the scags on some, off the other, only half on this one on the pro cars throws me. I'll keep the round on one and forget the sides. thanks

the scags on some, off the other, only half on this one on the pro cars throws me. I'll keep the round on one and forget the sides. thanks

The skegs can come either way, it was an option to have full skegs, not sure if it was a specific coachbuilder option or option on all coaches/cadillac.

I can usually translate the consistent lack of punctuation and spelling, but scags and all I have no idea what that's about. :cheers:

Noy sure how to quite explain it, but the skegs are the trim that starts out at either the number 2 door or to the front fender (depending on the option) on 1961 & 1962 and flairs out into the lower fin.

E&E Ambulance service.

Poor scan of a scan Taken in the mid 70's at the local race track
Someone more knowlegable can better identify year and model
E&E2.jpg

Guess I didn't use the right flickr link above. Can images be posted inline?

looks like a 66 superior to me also.

thanks John, for helping explain the lower protrusion in the 61 62 body. I have to try to remember not to speak boat. but some times that's all that will float up.

More Dutch procars.

'29 Cadillac ambulance, builder unknown:

29caddynl.jpg

'55 Smit-Joure Cadillac ambulance:

55cadsmitjoure.jpg

'56 Smit-Joure Cadillac ambulance #1:

56caddyamb3.jpg

'56 Smit-Joure Cadillac ambulance #2 (which survives):

56caddyamb2.jpg

56caddyamb.jpg

I can usually translate the consistent lack of punctuation and spelling, but scags and all I have no idea what that's about. :cheers:
From dictionary.com

skeg

   /skɛg/ Show Spelled[skeg] Show IPA
noun Nautical . 1. a projection supporting a rudder at its lower end, located abaft a sternpost or rudderpost.

2. an extension of the keel of a small craft, designed to improve steering.

1961 Eureka Cadillac

Thought I'd share a couple photos I took of Virgle Onnen's beautiful 1961 Eureka Cadillac combination. One of my favorite things about a Eureka like Virgle's is the optional Full Vision styling (wrap around rear quarter windows), as depicted in the right rear view. These photos were taken outside the McDonald Funeral Home in Rock Falls, IL.

(Karsnia photos)

Attachments

• zzz_onnen_61 001.jpg
    zzz_onnen_61 001.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,420
  • zzz_onnen_61 002.jpg
    zzz_onnen_61 002.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,406
Brentwood A.S. (?, CA - Concord area?)
1967 Rescuer

Plumas A.S. (Quincy, CA)
1966 Royale

(TP photos)

Attachments

• Brentwood.jpg
    Brentwood.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,354
  • Plumas.jpg
    Plumas.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,348
Wow. Just wow. If you ever happen to fly through Sharjah International Airport in the United Arab Emirates, check out this '58 S&S on display there (Sharjah Old Car Museum is located within airport).

5981688752_14412b9c85_b.jpg

5981680380_f979e6b99b_b.jpg

This newspaper photo, dated 1/30/57, was taken after the Elmhurst, IL P.D. took delivery of their new 1956 Miller. Their 1950 Eureka is in the background.

Here's a shot of the Eureka being delivered.

(SL collection)

Attachments

• Cadillac1952 Elmhurst.jpg
    Cadillac1952 Elmhurst.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 958
That 58 S&S is a knockout! It would be even more so with the correct wheel covers.

Thought the same. Could punish pixels into submission and manifest '58 hubcaps. ;)

Here's a sweet '64 Superior ambulance as seen on a used car lot in New Braunfels, TX in the mid-'90s.

64supambnewbraunfels.jpg

Same car today as artistically captured.

63sup14b.jpg

Managed to track current owner down and speak with him about coach. Turns out he purchased the Superior from that same dealer. When brake work was needed a couple years back, it was parked. Still started up a couple times a year, still under 30k original miles(!), lights and sirens still work, still has gurney in back, and still in TX with no rot. Says in today's economy he'd sell but wouldn't attach any price, preferring an offer instead. I've asked for more pics.

Interestingly, this ambulance was used in 2 movies: A Perfect World ('93) and Texas Chainsaw Massacre II ('86).

Paoli, PA FD's new '53 Superior.

53sup5paolipa.jpg

Can an ambulance on a hook be considered classy..? Carpluck's in Central Islip, Long Island shot this Miller Meteor when it was almost new behind their '70 Chevy tow truck in '77. If resolution was a little higher might be able to make out ambulance service on door. Neat seeing a period dark colored rig!

74mm2centralislip.jpg

Thought the same. Could punish pixels into submission and manifest '58 hubcaps. ;)

Here's a sweet '64 Superior ambulance as seen on a used car lot in New Braunfels, TX in the mid-'90s.

64supambnewbraunfels.jpg

Same car today as artistically captured.

63sup14b.jpg

Managed to track current owner down and speak with him about coach. Turns out he purchased the Superior from that same dealer. When brake work was needed a couple years back, it was parked. Still started up a couple times a year, still under 30k original miles(!), lights and sirens still work, still has gurney in back, and still in TX with no rot. Says in today's economy he'd sell but wouldn't attach any price, preferring an offer instead. I've asked for more pics.

Interestingly, this ambulance was used in 2 movies: A Perfect World ('93) and Texas Chainsaw Massacre II ('86).

I remember this ambulance I though it was maybe at a museum but I guess not I wasnt but about 11 or 12. I saw it about 18 or more years ago when out there visiting and my mom drove by the place but she would not stop. It was my frist car based ambulance I had ever seen. Sad it now but still looks like a good place to start with one.

Last edited:
Back