Classy Cadillacs

I knew Maury Baier personally. Dapper and meticulous and a nice person. The 1978 gold M&M with black crinkle and panels was ordered new by Bernard Sturm of Grayville. It had a #176 beacon with clear dome and a PA-15A Director siren. It was sold by Jack Trusty of Butler Coach Sales in Indianapolis. The retail sale price on it new was around $25,000. Bernard traded a 1974 M&M Traditional which was identical to the 78. Jack sold this car, a blue 78 Traditional with 2 #176 beacons to Donald Campbell in Carmi and a 78 white to Curt Ingram in Albion. All 3 cars had black crinkle roofs, removalble panels, PA 15 Director sirens, 176 beacon rays and were all located within a 30 mile radius from each other. I have looked for the gold car and the blue car but still cannot find either. The gold car was in mint condition when it was sold to Maury and was as long as he had it as he had a passion for perfect, traditional looking vehicles.

I'm afraid the "word on the street" about the gold car is not good.

The car was taken in trade by Baines Professional Vehicles in Wheeling, IL about 10 years ago. According to John Baines, a friend of mine, they sold the car to Chicago hearse collector, Noel Schiff, who resold it in the Chicago area. Noel has since died and the car was reportedly last seen "rotting away in someone's back yard in the Chicago area."

I had the privilege of owning Curt Ingram's car - the white one - from 200-2005. I purchased it from Dr. Thomas Bugliosi of Rochester, MN and sold it to fellow PCS member, Dan Herrick.

Tony, I would love to find that back yard in Chicago and see if that car is still worth salvaging. Also, the Campbell car completely fell off the radar. I had heard at one time it had went to someone in the north northwest but I have never seen it surface. I guess it was a priviledge that I got to see and drive these cars all when they were new. It is hard for me to imagine them as classics now. Sad to imagine that only one out of the three has survived. looking back it took a lot of $35 ambulance runs to pay for those cars. Yes, $35.00 IF you got paid!

I will ask John Baines if he has any idea where the gold car might be, but I doubt he'll have any information, as Noel Schiff sold it to whomever most likely has it now. There is also a red & white 1974 Miller-Meteor Cadillac Lifeliner ambulance from Kiester, MN lurking down there somewhere; another sale Mr. Schiff had something to do with...

I think I've asked you this before, Mike, but do you have any photos of the blue car?

Ours lasted longer.........

Our 1973 Olds Cotner/Bevington 48" headroom ambulance unit was licensed until 1983, down in Cerro Gordo, Illinois, near Decatur. We kept it after retirement, and its first PCS meet was Dearborn, Michigan in 1984. Gene Smith in Indiana now owns this unit (I believe)..........Dan Brintlinger

I knew Maury Baier personally. Dapper and meticulous and a nice person.

He certainly was; I visited him several times over the years, and he always let me have full access to his fleet for photos. Although I really liked the combinations, my biggest thrill in Paxton was driving the '41 Henney around town.

His ambulance fleet in 1997 (my last visit) included a Ford Type II and III as well as a nice old National/Dodge Type II that he bought from "Mac" McKown.

Gorgeous shot - courtesy of photographer Tim Sutton.

5368913332_3db9ef62cd_z.jpg

Here are some goodies recently acquired via eBay:

Pulaski Twp., PA
1966 Rescuer

Mercer, PA
1971 S/C 54"

Reno, PA
1968 Rescuer

Fairfield, OH
1970 S&S
(Note poor choice [aftermarket] of siren speaker mounting; this makes for lots of noise in the patient compartment.)

P&S A.S. (Akron, OH)
1958 S&S

(SL collection)

Attachments

• Pulaski Twp PA.jpg
    Pulaski Twp PA.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,021
  • Mercer PA.jpg
    Mercer PA.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,010
  • 68 SC Reno PA.jpg
    68 SC Reno PA.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,008
  • 70 SS Fairfield OH.jpg
    70 SS Fairfield OH.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,011
  • Akron OH 58 SS.jpg
    Akron OH 58 SS.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,013
That 1958 Cadillac of P&S's has got to be something they got ahold of for a
"show" car only. They never ran anything near that nice. They did "light it up" like all of their Oldsmobile wagons were in the 1970's, including the red high beam lights and very "period incorrect" 176 Beacon. Nice car though.

That 1958 Cadillac of P&S's has got to be something they got ahold of for a
"show" car only. They never ran anything near that nice. They did "light it up" like all of their Oldsmobile wagons were in the 1970's, including the red high beam lights and very "period incorrect" 176 Beacon. Nice car though.

If you look at the top of the front fender, its says, "Parade unit only" so that might explain it.

Back