Some items of interest from the Auburn Collector Car Auction...

...now run by R & M (Kruse is out).

Attendance was down this year, but better than I expected it to be. Still worth seeing, and it was only $10 to get in on Saturday this year instead of the previous years $20 price.

Not much in the way of pro cars, but there was an interesting ambulance and an interesting hearse to be auctioned:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

1926 Buick Ambulance, completely restored with cot and attendant seats (and PCS sticker on the windshield).

Out in the swap meet, I came home empty handed (except for a mountain bike that I think I got taken on...)

One of the more interesting things I spied was these:

19.JPG

20.JPG

21.JPG

What caught my eye was the oval glass S & M lenses, even though they were clear (don't see too many oval lenses of any kind). What is really interesting is that the HOUSINGS are also stamped with the S & M name. Not sure what they would have been found on, the guy I talked to gave me the impression they were a universal fit type of thing and that they would just be put on at random. Price??? If you have to ask...

Well, I had to ask...$450 a PIECE or $800 for the set! Imagine if the had RED lenses in them!!!

More non-deals from the swap meet:

A Federal 28 that was heavily rusted and looked like it had been thrown down a flight of stairs - $100

A Federal Director siren, working, with a loudspeaker that looked like it came off a high-school football field - $50 (ok, not too bad, but I already have one.)

A Federal Director, working, with a CP-25 speaker, well used - $185 :4_11_9:

A Federal Beacon-Ray model 17 with a high base (cut at an angle) - $250 :4_11_9: :4_11_9:

And of course, 1 Federal Q2B (minus the "B", but still had the switch) in typical well-used condition but did spin freely - $450

Lots of spotlights, but none that really stood out. The few that had mirrors attached were well into the triple digits.

Looks like the new auction hosts are doing a good job with what they inherited. If they keep the costs down they may keep the attendance numbers up. Interestingly, there was another collector car auction just up the road that seemed to be doing good business. I've seen it the last couple years as I was on my way to the Auburn auction and it looks like it is growing. There should continue to be something to do in the area on Labor day weekend.

(Auburn Indiana, for the uninformed. Just north of Fort Wayne.)

not many pro-cars......

Todd, there also was a 1968 Lehman-Peterson Lincoln limousine there on Friday. It was parked inside the big white tent behind the auction barn the last time I saw it. Attendance was down for sure but it was better than I expected. The car corral was the biggest disappointment, not as many of my favorite 70's cars for sale as usual. I did have lunch with Tim Fantin and we talked about Indiana Chapter business for a while so that was good.

Back