ID this lens please...

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
I haven't had time to take the lights apart, but I would like to find a replacement for the "blue dot" lenses that are presently installed on the car. Does anyone recognize what this lens was originally used on? It is a Guide lens, and I am guessing that it is an Oldsmobile, but what year? thanks Paul

Attachments

• MVC-006L.JPG
    MVC-006L.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 183
your ? lens

Paul,
Are there any numbers on the end of the lens? Example Guide-53 or Guide 56 or ? We know it is GM from the Guide. My first guess without more info is a 53 Buick lens. No flutes or decoration, just a simple looking lens. Look at the lenses on that yellow Buick picture I sent you a while back. Now get it apart and get us some measurments. Diameter, length, and distance between the mounting holes. Seems odd that they would have used something that many years older than the car they were building at the time.
Is there a prize if we get this right? No long puppies please.
Mike

:toocool:

I can't get it apart without taking the light off the roof. That is why I ask. I can't tell the number because of the blue dot...

Lens ID

The lens appear to be from 1960 Buick and have a center chrome band but the blue dot has me puzzled.

Very clean and good looking coach....See you soon Tom

The blue dots were an old hot rodder staple, and were most likely added later. The correct lens would be the same one without the blue dot. What it is I don't know, but the Oldsmobile lenses that are similar to that have indents on the sides. As Mike said, there should be a year code on the lens, but it may have been obliterated by the hole drilled for the blue dot.

There are only so many GM early 60s cars, so it shouldn't be too hard to track down. The blue dot is easier to find, you can get them at most auto parts stores.

The lens appear to be from 1960 Buick and have a center chrome band but the blue dot has me puzzled.

Very clean and good looking coach....See you soon Tom

Tom... the 1960 Buick had a much larger diameter than this lens. I had a 1960 Buick Electra Convertible once, and I marveled at how large those tail lamps were.. At this point, I think that I will just take the light off to remove the lens.

more blue

Tom,
Blue dots when installed properly would make your brake lights shine with a purple glow. The combination of red and blue diffusing the light. The old ones were made of glass. Most of the new ones seem to be plastic. I somehow doubt they will produce the same color of light.
Mike

I'm thinking 53 Pontiac. doses not the olds have 3 indentations around them like the pinter uses. the pon has the flat spot in the canter. I have been looking at them on e-bay but they are not right for my sedan delivery.

just checked and the poncho does not have the screw holes. got to be the buick, Olds ones .

Attachments

• 1953 pon lens.jpg
    1953 pon lens.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 122
53 Pontiac had a chrome ring on it.

I'm changing my answer. I believe it is actually a 56 Chevy tail light. The screw holes are different than the Buick.

Here it is with and without the blue dot:

http://www.drantiquecarparts.com/page4.html

Here's a nicer picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesnorton/576372143/

56:

1956%20Blue%20dot%20Taillight%20Lenses.jpg

looks like Todd has this one. you notice how they use the light about 7 -10 years older then the car. even those you see with the diferent shaped ones are about 10 years older then the car there are put on.

Thanks Todd... You got this right. I took the lens off this afternoon, and it is marked "Guide RI-56" and it appears to be a 1956 Chevrolet lens. Thanks again... Paul

Very nice C/B there Paul! I wondered what ever became of it, good to see it out cruising the streets again... enjoy it you have a nice one there.

Todd... excellent ID on the lenses Paul needs. Thank goodness those are something they re-pop every day

Back