Crinkle Top Care

scrub blush and soap and water. then some of the final wash products out by mothers, grouts garage or Wizard seam to restore the luster.

crinkle top continued

(sigh) well now, I took the car cover off, and I think it was wet a bit when I last put it on, and so, an area about the size of a silver dollar has come off completely, leaving the red primer. It is on the top of the car, not the sides, so should I just maybe spray a little gloss black over the spot? I am afraid that now this has started...it will enlarge and enlarge. Since crinkle top paint has not yet really been discovered, has anyone ever peeled or sanded off the whole crinkle and replaced it with a coat of gloss.....or flat black? Or any new leads as to a satisfactory substitute? Any suggestions and.....thankyou

Dave

Ed has successfully repainted a crinkle top. The reason that a spot came off, is because it wasn't properly prepared prior to the original painting. The roof can be sanded down to bare metal, and a smooth finish can be applied. As with all body work, it is only as good as the person doing the work. If they are conscientious at doing a good job, then the work will last a very long time. If they are sloppy, then it will not. One of my cars is in the body shop having the top repainted. I stopped in today to check on it, since it was in the paint booth on Friday being painted. Today, they had most of it covered with plastic, and were repainting the top of the rear door. I asked why, and the shop owner said that he wasn't satisfied with the way that it looked when he brought the car out into the daylight. He cares about the quality of the work that leaves his shop.

they used the wrinkle paint because it could be applied right over the bare metal. (cheap) but East Wood and others still have it in spray cans. Dan found it in quart cans from Maserati as engine paint. it is some awkward stuff to use as mill thickness is what it has to have and uniform to get your pattern correct. if one could have at least 2 people spraying at the same time it would help for a complete top. but just a spot. no bigger then a wheel cover. get two cans of spray. clean the top good. remove any loose paint till it is stuck good. scuff with a scotch pad only the hole and then prime any bare spot. then just fill it in. don't go to onto the other paint any more then you need to seal the edges. try to get enough to fill up to the same thickness. then let it get dry to the touch and run it out into the bright sun and let it cure. if it works your out 20 buck in a repair if not your still the cost of a repaint.
but now that you have a edge started one trip to the car wash will remove most of it.

Eastwood wrinkle paint

Thanks Paul and Ed......would that be the EW Wrinkle Paint Black Aerosol 12 oz Item #10014 Z

I did a search online....and if it is...maybe just have to order it online

thanks for the advice

Dave

they only have the one I know if. now then I have never used it, but most everything from them is as good as you can get.

Back