1962 Chevrolet 8 door Airport Limo

Ran accross this through my Chevy connections thought I'd post it. I been in contact with the owner (who gave permission to post the pic and a link to his site). He does not know who did the original conversion. There is a great story behind this one. The story and a lot more pics can be found there. I gave hime the link to here and invited him over. Don't see to many airport limos like this.

http://www.doorthysplace.com/

Attachments

• jdoorthy080509.jpg
    jdoorthy080509.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 23,212
Both Armbruster/Stageway and National both did did the airport limo conversions like this and going by the roof lines I'd say this one is prolly a National. I hope this one finds a home amongst our group!

Check out Shane's cars on the same website......

After seeing the pictures of this car, it brought back to memory a 1963 Chrysler 6 door limo that I was told about that is local to me. I spoke to the owner, but he has an inflated idea of value, and even though I never went to look at it, I think it has just about the same amount of rust in it as this Chevy Limo had. You have to be mighty ambitious to want to tackle a job like that.

I just finished reading the story and looking at the restoration pictures!!! Awesome job!!! I continue to be impressed by and envious of the people who have the talents to tackle such big jobs as this and turn out a finished product that would be an honor to own by just about anyone!!
Very nice job!!!

Dana Bennett
Forestville, NY

With all these airport limos surfacing... I need to do some trolling in Delaware Ohio again. There is (or used to be) a Checker Aerobus stashed "off the beaten path", but something that big is hard to hide!

There used to be one also that sat along Morse Road in north Columbus at "The Elephant Bar" it was hideous, it was painted with a safari scene on both sides & the bar's logo all over it. I think they bought it from the Harley Hotel that once sat right across the street. It was white then & goregous, I remember as a kid seeing that long, white Aerobus sitting "front & center" right in front of the hotel's main doors. It ran guests back & forth from Port Columbus airport. Any other Ohio folks remember it?

This '62 Impala airport limo is amazing... thanx for the photo & story!

Armbruster

Heard back from the gentleman who owns and restored this one as to the original coachmaker:
"I guess I must have misunderstood your request about who converted Doorthy. It was Armbruster in Fort Smith AR. Twenty years ago or so a fellow in New Jersey sent me a picture of his 62 Chevy Airport Limo. It was identical to mine and he had the complete history of his car. What made us sure of the same converter was each of the added doors had that little 4 inch window which was unique to Armbruster."

Seeing the resto progression on this one definately gave me some inspiration.

Sandy and I were at a Cruise Night in Putnam CT this past Saturday, and there is a group of people that we sit with. While speaking with one of the guys, he started telling me about a 8 door limo that he purchased 25 years ago, and then sold. After listening to his description of the car, I believe that the car that he once owned is this exact limo. Small world.. :myopinion:

This evening, I had an opportunity to view this car up close, as it is in Flint this week for the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America national meet. I spoke with the owner, and invited him to check out the website as Joe had done before.

I asked to see and photograph the data plate, but the owner stated that the car had no data plate when he purchased it. He also stated that two doors were added to the drivers side during restoration where there were only two doors on that side originally.

Here are a couple photos I took today:
picture.php

picture.php

If any other professional cars show up at the meet, I will be sure to get photos and info to share.

Back