Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:37 PM
PCS Member

Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Inclosed or open transport?

It's about that time for me to start planning on getting my car home to where she belongs. The trip will be from Ed's place in South Dakota to Massachusetts. Since the car is once again like new, I'm thinking of spending the extra money to have her shipped in an enclosed carrier. Does everyone agree with me or would the car be just as safe on an open carrier? Any nightmare stories of open carriers anyone want to share with me?

Jim
Old 04-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Website Member

Thanked 1,764 Times in 566 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

I have an online friend who had his hearse hauled on an open transport, they put it on the top and hit a traffic light with the hearse's roof... really did a number on the vynl top just above the windshield!
Old 04-18-2010, 08:44 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,385 Times in 610 Posts
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile in or out

I would vote for an enclosed carrier if one is availible. There may not be that much difference in price. You may have to dust the car off in you take if from an enclosed carrier. On an open trailer or flatbed you will probably have to wash the bugs off along with the dust and dirt from the road. Now let's see what the rest of the group thinks.
Mike
Old 04-18-2010, 09:30 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,080 Times in 443 Posts
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cool open or enclosed car carrier

as long as you hire a reputable firm,an open carrier is much cheaper! whomever hauled that hearse and damaged it should have been liable to repair any damages and make it right.sounds to me like he did not check the height of his load before he left.enclosed carriers cost a lot more!!!!! if the car is transported in the summer it should be fine.should just need a good bath and removal of accumulated bugs. I speak from expierence as I drive a car carrier for cassens transport co. I've done it for over 30 years. Make sure you hire someone with insurance,and who will give you references from satisfied customers.there are a lot of fly by nite gypsey outfits out there so use caution!Good luck!
Old 04-18-2010, 10:31 PM
PCS Life Member

Thanked 2,323 Times in 952 Posts
Groans: 1

Jim, check with Sancrest in Billings Mo. They haul all our stuff and they do sub some of it out but we have always been satisfied and we use them almost weekly. They haul alot of new stuff for accubuilt so they can handle it. They do get dirty not enclosed but no worse for wear but Sancrest offers both choices.
The Following User Says Thank You to Danny Ryder For This Useful Post:
Jim Staruk (06-02-2010)
Old 04-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Website Member

Thanked 6,806 Times in 2,253 Posts
Groaned at 13 Times in 5 Posts

Call and talk with Kevin Parkinson in Swartz Creek, MI. He just had FedEx deliver his hearse from California to Michigan. I'm sure he could give you some advise. I like the idea of an enclosed trailer for transport.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:44 PM
PCS Past President

Thanked 1,806 Times in 415 Posts
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know the year/make of car in question, but if it's restored, why not drive it east? Then you could spend the night in Indiana and I could round up plenty of people who would gather to see it.

Over the years, I have had at least 8 cars hauled on open trailers. In one case a BMW arrived with several feet of snow on it, but otherwise I've had no problems with open trailers, as long as you trust the hauling company and/or drivers.

Tom

www.bippusautostorage.com/cars
Old 04-18-2010, 10:44 PM
PCS Member

Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Vyse View Post
Call and talk with Kevin Parkinson in Swartz Creek, MI. He just had FedEx deliver his hearse from California to Michigan. I'm sure he could give you some advise. I like the idea of an enclosed trailer for transport.
I got a quote from FedEx enclosed... almost $4,000.00! That's why I'm thinking open carrier for half the price.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:30 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,147 Times in 455 Posts
Default shipping

Jim: keep shopping. After all of the work done, ship it enclosed. You would hate to see anything happen in transit.
I have shipped several vehicles from the US up here to Canada and have done it for @1/2 of the Fed Ex quote. Established firms. Even my 76XL. A pro car is definitely more, but you should be able to do better.
If I could suggest getting a copy of Hemmings and contact several of the shippers that serve the North East.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:54 PM
PCS Elected Director

Thanked 13,736 Times in 5,798 Posts
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Staruk View Post
I got a quote from FedEx enclosed... almost $4,000.00! That's why I'm thinking open carrier for half the price.
it gets that high I'll drive it out and drive Brendon's back. they want more to ship then I charged you to do it.