One That Got Away

D

Dean Wilkinson

Yesterday, my son Kyle found a 1969 Superior Cadillac (73,000 miles) on Kijiji for sale. Owned by St. John Ambulance in London, Ontario, who was using it as a PR vehicle, the asking price was $6,000 Canadian and the ad stated they hasd an appraisal to support the asking price.. I called this morning and made an appointment to view on Wednesday, only to find out later today that it had been sold. He who hesitates is lost or last. Won't be surprised if the car turns up on Ebay with a much higher price.

4454746113_6d505e4556_o.jpg

Hi Dean...suprising that this car wasn't known about earlier...and to think that I probably could have seen this vehicle when I was in London a few weeks ago (and maybe picked it up)! Any chance they'll let you in on who the buyer was?

Did you notice the suicide service door? Was this standard on the '69 Cadillac by Superior?

Bill

I had last seen this car approximately 20 years ago and had forgotton all about it. I believe Len Langlois knows some of the history of this vehicle. I spoke to him about it last evening (he is still in Phoenix for the winter) and We discussed the possibility of purchase for the museum. Will attempt to find out more if I can.

Mine had one too

The left rear "suicide" door made it possible to unload patients through the side, IF the ambulance happened to get rear-ended in an accident...........

Through one of the late night parking lot discussions at one of the meets, I was also told that the rear suicide door was for speed of the driver. The driver could get out of his door and into the back door to get equipment out quicker if it was a rear hinged door like this.

Oh, man, that looks like a nice car at a cheeeep price. Oh well, sorry you missed it - no, sorry I missed it! :cry:

Suicide doors were an option on Superiors in that era. You could have both opening forward, both opening rearward, or even one of each, and I think I've seen all the variations. Everyone has their own logic as to why the doors faced one way or the other. It all makes a little sense, or not. Suffice to say, if you were the customer and felt it important enough to have the door(s) face one way or another, Superior would build it that way. Other coachbuilders did not offer that option on ambulances.

OK, on that note, here's my question. As I said, everyone had various reasons for having suicide doors on ambulances. But has anyone ACTUALLY used the suicide side door of a regular ambulance to load/unload? I've heard a lot of, "it's that way so we could....", but I want to know if ya DID. :confused2:

I will get back to you

Me thinks I know someone in woodstock who was looking at that car, I will see if he bought it,and get back to you.It was Peter Hardings former deputy fire chief in london and St johns Supt.project car..

Thanks Wayne

Some pictures would be nice and see if you can convince him or her to join PCS. Would it be Joe Jr?

Back