Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:21 AM
PCS Member / EMT / PARAMEDIC

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Recommendations on where to get some item

Sorry to keep bothering everyone, but since I'm focusing my energy on our squad's 1970 Cadillac Superior Ambulance, I'm trying to find out where is a good place to source some items.

1. Driver and passenger interior compartment headliner. It was completely dry rotted and splitting. Would I be able to just get one for a Deville Fleetwood etc.? I would assume they are all the same. It was white.

2. Rear interior compartment (stretcher area) headliner. Some was good and some was bad so we ripped out the entire thing. It was white.

3. Rear interior curtains for the doors and all of the windows in the back area.

4. New seat covers for a commercial chassis bench seat. Ours is a solid bottom and split back with no arm rest. It's red and white.

Thanks again for any direction you can point me in.
John
Old 03-01-2018, 07:35 AM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,407 Times in 3,728 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Zicha View Post
Sorry to keep bothering everyone, but since I'm focusing my energy on our squad's 1970 Cadillac Superior Ambulance, I'm trying to find out where is a good place to source some items.

1. Driver and passenger interior compartment headliner. It was completely dry rotted and splitting. Would I be able to just get one for a Deville Fleetwood etc.? I would assume they are all the same. It was white.

It isn't the same as a car body. Has to be custom made by an automobile upholstery shop. Good thing it is there, because the old one will be the pattern for the new one. If it is missing, it will cost more, because they need to do a lot of measuring.

2. Rear interior compartment (stretcher area) headliner. Some was good and some was bad so we ripped out the entire thing. It was white.

See above. I hope that you didn't throw away the metal bows, because they are proprietary to the year, make and model of the ambulance. They will also need to know where all the zippers will have to go, and without the old headliner, they don't have the luxury of knowing how to duplicate how the zippers are sewn into the headliner.
I can't begin to count the number of times, that I have said in these threads, DON'T THROW ANYTHING AWAY, UNTIL THE NEW ITEM IS IN PLACE. If it is a mechanical item, keep for future rebuilding.

3. Rear interior curtains for the doors and all of the windows in the back area.

Any good custom curtain shop can make them if you have all the hardware installed, so they can take the measurements.

4. New seat covers for a commercial chassis bench seat. Ours is a solid bottom and split back with no arm rest. It's red and white.

Same shop that the headliner can handle this project. Make sure to get the identical vinyl as the door panels, so the seat will match the rest of the interior.

Thanks again for any direction you can point me in.
John
My estimate of cost, based on what I had done on my 1963 & my 1969 for similar work, you are looking at between $2000 - $2500. Just don't want you to have sticker shock.
John Zicha (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 07:55 AM
PCS Member / EMT / PARAMEDIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Steinberg View Post
My estimate of cost, based on what I had done on my 1963 & my 1969 for similar work, you are looking at between $2000 - $2500. Just don't want you to have sticker shock.
I saved all the rods because i figured they would be important. They are still on the roof. I did throw away most of the headliner. There's a few small chunks here and there. If i can get it all done for what you said I'd be thrilled. Now to find a shop.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:06 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,193 Times in 474 Posts
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

John, when I had our EMS Foundation car headliners redone a local auto/boat upholstery shop did front and rear. Excellent result and the price was very reasonable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Prieur For This Useful Post:
John Zicha (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 09:34 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 2,789 Times in 1,328 Posts
Groans: 1

John, you need to have an upholstery shop make and install the headliners. The same shop can reupholster your front seat. I use Falls Automotive in Little Falls, NJ 973 890 0268 ask for Jeff and tell him I sent you. These are nice guys, clean shop, finish work in a timely manner and they have supported a couple of car events, so I am happy to recommend them to you. They did a fabulous job on the front seat in my 68 Superior, they also installed a new rubber mat on the floor.
Attached Images

Past Northeast Chapter President
Past BoD Member
Co-Chair PCS 1999 Lancaster Meet

And I have to say that I enjoyed every minute of it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Marcy For This Useful Post:
John Zicha (03-01-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 01:55 PM

John, check this place out! They are a great source for correct materials and other items such as door panels.
https://smsautofabrics.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Martens For This Useful Post:
Daniel Scully (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 02:10 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 2,261 Times in 933 Posts
Default Door panels

If you want to spend the money SMS can duplicate door panels with all the embossing. They did a set for my 64 wagon and are excellent.
Attached Images

1961 S&S Limo Style End Loader
1962 Buick Electra 225 Limo (By Flxible)
1965 Crown Sovereign 3-Way
1965 C/B Landau
1968 Crown Royale 3-way
1996 Eagle Coupe de Fleur

1964 Dodge 880 Hardtop Wagon
1963 Bug
1973 VW Thing
1968 A-100 Truck
1970 300 Convertible
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Scully For This Useful Post:
Kurt Arends (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 02:41 PM
Website Member

I dont know if this is the case with full-fledged ambulances, but my 68 combination's headliner has a zipper to access the light assembly, so if that is the case for yours then you might need to account for that.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:36 PM
Website Member

Now im not sure how much luck you will have with headliners and seatcovers with this method, but one thing I learned here is a valuable resource is to scope out salvage yards. To my understanding from the dash forward you can take alot of parts off fleetwoods and maybe devilles.

You may even get lucky and find another hearse to grab some coach items
Old 03-02-2018, 11:03 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,407 Times in 3,728 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

Every combination coach and ambulance had zippers to access the emergency lighting and associated wiring. They all used a coarse brass zipper, and placement of the zippers and proper installation of the zippers is paramount. Never assume that the shop is going to do it right, unless you give them very specific instructions, and diagrams as to how the zippers are going to be installed. Even then, you might not get exactly what you want, because the person doing the work is lazy, and takes short cuts at your expense. Even the weight of the headliner material is different than a passenger car headliner. Many upholsters don't want to work with this heavier material, because it is more time consuming and difficult to work with.