Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.



Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-09-2018, 11:06 AM
Blake Sherwin's Avatar
Blake Sherwin Blake Sherwin is offline
Website Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Owasso OK 74021
Posts: 98
Thanks: 6
Thanked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Hood Ornaments

Ok so I have temporarily bought a Cadillac Ornament to cover up the ugly hole in my 68's hood until I can have bodywork done. I think I am missing a crucial piece for mounting it though. I have the ornament itself and it came with a cylinder and big nut.

The underside of the ornament has a loop. I feel like theres a thick rubber cord that wraps under it or something but I cant find any information without knowing what its called or what im looking for. only thing the googles tell me is how to drill a hole into a hood, and thats how this mess started...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-09-2018, 11:11 AM
Chuck Kramer Chuck Kramer is offline
PCS Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Prairie du Chien WI 53821
Posts: 335
Thanks: 372
Thanked 294 Times in 145 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Sherwin View Post
Ok so I have temporarily bought a Cadillac Ornament to cover up the ugly hole in my 68's hood until I can have bodywork done. I think I am missing a crucial piece for mounting it though. I have the ornament itself and it came with a cylinder and big nut.

The underside of the ornament has a loop. I feel like theres a thick rubber cord that wraps under it or something but I cant find any information without knowing what its called or what im looking for. only thing the googles tell me is how to drill a hole into a hood, and thats how this mess started...
Check out the photos on ebay parts and accessories to see what maybe you are missing?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-09-2018, 11:20 AM
John ED Renstrom's Avatar
John ED Renstrom John ED Renstrom is offline
PCS Elected Director 2016 - 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hot Springs SD 57747
Posts: 10,656
Thanks: 3,762
Thanked 13,816 Times in 5,832 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

If it goes in the hole and you can get the nut on it to tighten it up that is all you need. But really it is impossable to give on an answer on things we can't see. A picture helps.
__________________
drop in for coffee anytime
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-09-2018, 12:04 PM
Blake Sherwin's Avatar
Blake Sherwin Blake Sherwin is offline
Website Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Owasso OK 74021
Posts: 98
Thanks: 6
Thanked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John ED Renstrom View Post
If it goes in the hole and you can get the nut on it to tighten it up that is all you need. But really it is impossable to give on an answer on things we can't see. A picture helps.
I will try to take one here when I have a second. It fits, but it doesnt snap. Looks like it requires a cord to be run down. It might make more sense once I get a pic
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-09-2018, 01:21 PM
Blake Sherwin's Avatar
Blake Sherwin Blake Sherwin is offline
Website Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Owasso OK 74021
Posts: 98
Thanks: 6
Thanked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-09-2018, 01:33 PM
Terry Lange Terry Lange is offline
PCS Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mesa AZ 85215
Posts: 336
Thanks: 2,018
Thanked 1,317 Times in 320 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just thinking back (many years) to the one I had on my '73 and '75 Devilles, a hook went through the hole in the base of the ornament, and it was attached somehow to a spring that was held in place by a disk at the lower most point of the whole assembly. Actually the spring itself may have attached directly to the ornament........can't quite remember. The idea was to be able to bend the ornament in any direction without snapping it off. You are definitely missing 2 or 3 parts.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-09-2018, 02:31 PM
Chuck Kramer Chuck Kramer is offline
PCS Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Prairie du Chien WI 53821
Posts: 335
Thanks: 372
Thanked 294 Times in 145 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Lange View Post
Just thinking back (many years) to the one I had on my '73 and '75 Devilles, a hook went through the hole in the base of the ornament, and it was attached somehow to a spring that was held in place by a disk at the lower most point of the whole assembly. Actually the spring itself may have attached directly to the ornament........can't quite remember. The idea was to be able to bend the ornament in any direction without snapping it off. You are definitely missing 2 or 3 parts.
Terry is correct. Look at the photos on ebay cars and parts.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-09-2018, 06:06 PM
Kurt Arends's Avatar
Kurt Arends Kurt Arends is offline
PCS Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Council Bluffs IA 51503
Posts: 1,683
Thanks: 5,198
Thanked 4,721 Times in 2,174 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Where did you gt the ornament? Looks to be a 1980s ornament.
__________________
1975 S&S Victoria 3-Way Landau
1975 Superior Cadillac 54" Ambulance(Ex Decatur Ambulance Service, Decatur, IL)
1974 M-M Cadillac Lifeliner Ambulance(Ex Minden City/County Safety Authority, Minden, NE)
1990 Superior Cadillac Crown Sovereign End-Loader
1988 Eureka Cadillac Concours Landaulet End-Loader
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-09-2018, 06:40 PM
Blake Sherwin's Avatar
Blake Sherwin Blake Sherwin is offline
Website Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Owasso OK 74021
Posts: 98
Thanks: 6
Thanked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Arends View Post
Where did you gt the ornament? Looks to be a 1980s ornament.
Ebay, was listed as mid 70s actually.

Considering my hearse didnt have one from the factory anyway I figured its not going to be a huge deal if the years off. That gaping hole just really bugs me and this seems to be the most practical way to cover it for the time being until I can get it properly fixed.

This is not a permanent fix for sure.

Last edited by Blake Sherwin; 01-09-2018 at 06:41 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-09-2018, 07:13 PM
Peter Grave Peter Grave is offline
PCS Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottsville PA 18942-0250
Posts: 685
Thanks: 1,245
Thanked 1,758 Times in 969 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

There should be a wire that comes up through the base and attached to the wreath & crest then on the bottom there was a spring that had to be compressed to hook the wire (it had a hooked end on each end). This provided tension so the wreath and crest would stand up and bend over at car washes and resist little devilish kids who would try to break it off. The 91 to 96 Chevrolet Caprice used the same set up a trip to local U Pull It yard will yield the spring and wire and how it is set up.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'71-'72 Caddy hood Kent Zschoche Craigslist Listings Discussions Forum 2 07-28-2017 11:35 AM
For Sale International Meet Christmas Ornaments Patrick J. Martin For Sale To The Public At Large 1 11-30-2013 09:14 PM
Hood open? Steve Lichtman General Discussion Forum 6 10-18-2010 03:13 PM
Under Hood Siren Jean-Marc Dugas General Discussion Forum 24 02-21-2010 03:31 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2009 - 2018 Friends of the Professional Car Society