Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Classifieds Forum Open to the Public > Craigslist Listings Discussions Forum

Craigslist Listings Discussions Forum This is a discussion forum for Craigslist listings of Professional Cars and related items. This forum is not intended to become a search engine for Craigslist items. Posts with multiple listings will be deleted. Please search to see if the information has been previously posted. Titles must clearly define the discussion. DO NOT POST JUST LINKS! Please explain what the listing is about to start the discussion. Posts that don't meet these requirements may be deleted without notice. Posts may be removed after 30 days or at our discretion.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:44 AM
Website Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 68 Cadillac Hearse in Colorado

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto...402142730.html

Found this hearse/ambulance yesterday on my searches. Sounds and looks decent with the exception of the ugly decals. Pics are really low res though. I asked him for more pics and he sent me some more recent higher res pics, two of which show a small section of rust damage on each side (and I see bubbling around it, so there may be more under the paint)

If anyone is interested I can upload and post the better pics in this thread. I'm not really super interested in this one yet, but its a cheap 68 which I dont see often.

Here is his response to my email:

-------------
Hello,
Yes, it’s mechanically sound. I drove it in a parade at the end of October, then moved it several times up until about a month ago.
The windshield is cracked, does not leak, but is not cracked in front of the drivers view.
I can definitely remove the decals/vinyl graphics, however not sure what the paint would look after they’re removed. I’m guessing there will be discoloration, but nothing horrible.
Lastly, the pics below show the only rust spots (one minor spot on each side). I’ve included a couple of recent profile pics as well
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blake Sherwin For This Useful Post:
Clay Sellick (12-11-2017), Daniel Scully (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 11:51 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 5,173 Times in 2,404 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

This combination looks to be a much better deal at $3000 that that '75'/76 hearse w/ no title that you are looking at for $4000. Anything '70 or older should be worth more than a coach from the '70s in comparable condition. A combination, such as this one, should be worth more than an end-loading hearse in comparable condition.
1996 S&S 6-Door
Old 12-11-2017, 12:21 PM
Website Member

I'll keep that in mind. I'm just unsure on the cost of repairing the rust damage. I can post those pictures later
Old 12-11-2017, 01:41 PM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,362 Times in 6,064 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

no matter what pictures lie. you can't tell with out looking at it and guessing what the repairs would cost are just a guess. this one has one of the rare body styles a landau combination. now to be honest with you anything you get you can expect to put at least a grand in it to make it a dependable car. that's just belts, hoses and a tune up. if it doesn't need tires today it will tomorrow. the old saying of pay up front or pay when you get it comes to play. if you can't go look at the car ask one of the members living there to do it for you. or you take your chances of just how old that pictures is. this is a decent price for this style car at this age. it should resell for this amount at any time. MM had the rust on the bottom off the doors problem and they all had the rust on the bottom of the front fenders problem.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:06 PM
Website Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John ED Renstrom View Post
no matter what pictures lie. you can't tell with out looking at it and guessing what the repairs would cost are just a guess. this one has one of the rare body styles a landau combination. now to be honest with you anything you get you can expect to put at least a grand in it to make it a dependable car. that's just belts, hoses and a tune up. if it doesn't need tires today it will tomorrow. the old saying of pay up front or pay when you get it comes to play. if you can't go look at the car ask one of the members living there to do it for you. or you take your chances of just how old that pictures is. this is a decent price for this style car at this age. it should resell for this amount at any time. MM had the rust on the bottom off the doors problem and they all had the rust on the bottom of the front fenders problem.
Thats a good idea, is there anyone in the Colorado Springs area who would be willing to take a look at this for me and give me opinions?
Old 12-11-2017, 05:58 PM
Website Member

Rust pics:

It seems like a pretty minor amount of rusting but I have no idea what the average cost is for a body shop to restore these sections, so this is really the only thing that has me hesitant. I have tried to get ballpark quotes before but no one will ever give me a "theoreticaly quote" without physically seeing it, even with pics. I understand there are variables that wildly affect these things but it would be nice to get some baseline info.

Only thing I have really been able to find is via google and that was:

Quote:
"New metal panels can cost around $60 each, and are suitable for repairing large sections of rusted metal. When the entire body panel of a vehicle must be replaced, a new part can be anywhere from $200 to $2,000. The cost of welding the new piece of metal into place can add an additional $45 to $250 to the final bill."

Last edited by Blake Sherwin; 12-11-2017 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-11-2017, 06:45 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 5,173 Times in 2,404 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Wow! Where is that body shop?? Sign me up on that program!
1996 S&S 6-Door
The Following User Says Thank You to Kurt Arends For This Useful Post:
John ED Renstrom (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 07:40 PM
Website Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Arends View Post
Wow! Where is that body shop?? Sign me up on that program!
I know right? I mean im not a mechanic but that pricing sounded pretty optimistic.

Is there anyone here in Colorado? It would be awesome if someone was able to check it out and test drive it. Id even be willing to pay for your gas costs via paypal
Old 12-11-2017, 10:24 PM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,362 Times in 6,064 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

Too many things to go into. The rust there is caused by water getting to the panel. If you don't fix that problem putting in a patch is only temporary. Water is most likely getting in from the seam under the molding on top of the panel. But could be comming threw the wheel well. Both sides are a little strange with no other rust on the car. But that happens. The re pair will add little to your repaint. The case boils down to Which car do you get excited about. Both as will them all need some fixing.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:59 PM
Website Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John ED Renstrom View Post
Too many things to go into. The rust there is caused by water getting to the panel. If you don't fix that problem putting in a patch is only temporary. Water is most likely getting in from the seam under the molding on top of the panel. But could be comming threw the wheel well. Both sides are a little strange with no other rust on the car. But that happens. The re pair will add little to your repaint. The case boils down to Which car do you get excited about. Both as will them all need some fixing.
Yeah, 68 is my ideal year so this one does seem better to me. I have a friend in Colorado Springs, so I am trying to arrange for him to go look at it and ride in it and make sure it all checks out. If so I am strongly considering this.

The 75 has someone else interested so I doubt the seller is going to fix the issues it had, but in any case, 68 is what I really want

Last edited by Blake Sherwin; 12-12-2017 at 12:59 PM. Reason: typo