Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > Technical Discussion Forum

Technical Discussion Forum For the discussion of technical questions about Professional Cars and their repair and maintenance. Posting in this forum is limited to PCS Members and / or Site Supporters. We encourage all website users to become members of the Professional Car Society and / or become Site Supporter.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:23 PM
PCS Elected Director 2016 - 2018

Thanked 14,104 Times in 5,944 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default a wheel is a wheel righ

I picked up a set of wheels from Kurt on our way home need the older style rime for the 67. he said all I have are the older ones, they were early 60s. the looked like what I needed same shape and all. but when we went to put the wheel covers on guess what . the rims are about a 1/16 of a inch bigger.the caps would not lock into the lip. it would just fall out.tried it on the newer wheels and it fits, tried it on the spare and it fits. tried a different cove same thing. you got any Ida just how much it takes to search a stainless steel cover 1/16 of a inch. we did go grab the 58 caps I forget to sent home. it locks right on. I think we had better mark that cap to the wheel on down the road some one is going to be scratching there head
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2017, 11:33 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,406 Times in 3,727 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

It just goes to prove that not all commercial wheels are the same, and that they differed in some way from year to year. The only way to know is to dismount the tire, and check the Kelsey Hayes markings that are stamped into the rim, and find 5 wheels that have that same exact stamping.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:06 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,313 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Ed,
Those rims that you picked up were marked as to the year of the coach that they came off of. I always mark all of them when I bring them home. I know that one of yours came off of a '63. Not sure if you kept track of that before blasting them.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:49 PM
PCS Elected Director 2016 - 2018

Thanked 14,104 Times in 5,944 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

these on the front were the ones i picked up from you. I had three with the car. I never thought of checking the wheel cover on them. but just a little different in the curl of the rim. I was surprised. we knew they were older then the car.

they will work will till the the right ones come along. we gained enough to get the caps to grip tight it will be a lot easier to move them back then it was out.

just though I would pass this one so people will have a heads up.