wiper switch question

Hi guys, i have been having trouble with my wiper switch for my 69 Superior. It used to work when it wanted to. it also used to not turn off completely. When it turned off the wipers would keep going up and down about 3 or 4 inches and wouldnt stop. I took it apart and cleaned it. It worked flawlessly . I got my inspection sticker and the next day it quit completely. Any ideas on a rebuilding shop or leads on another switch?

Great question, yesterday my wiper switch on the '73 started doing the same thing. However, I have not taken it apart yet. Also, the door mounted Spotlight shaft goes right through the switch housing.

Your problem may not be the switch. The switch just supply's to power to the motor. The park mode is controlled internally in the motor. I know there is a way to bench test the motor but I have yet to figure it out. There are a number of wires to run. The good news is it is a standard part.

You can find a reliable source for rebuilding almost any item on your car in that forum... In every instance of a post that I have made, I have verified vendors by using recommendations from other websites or from people that have used their services. In many instances, I myself have used them. While others have been satisfied with the services provide, there is always the possibility that they might not measure up to your standards. In these cases, we would greatly appreciate your posting your experience, both positive or negative, by starting a new thread that can be merged with the original post afterwards.

Here is the one for rebuilding wiper motors.

Having had many Cadillacs I agree with Ed chances are its the park mechanism on the motor. When you shut it off and it thrashes chances are its the motor, If it just flat won't turn on switch may be it. Switch easy to check with test light or volt meter.

My series 62 has had the same problem for 17 years. I turn the wiper switch off and wait for the wipers to park then turn off the key. I will watch for your solution.

Back when the square Caprice ruled the road as THE Police car. We served many police departments with parts and repairs. The wiper motors (same as Cadillac) were prime sellers so much so we stocked new ones and rebuilts as we could not keep used ones from wrecks in stock to supply the demand.The failure to park was one of the prime issues. Funny thing is when the bubble Caprice came in the wiper motor design changed and that was the end of the problem.

Back