1980 E-Class Ambulance

That is what is known as a "grey market" car, and as such, you can't just drive into the local Mercedes dealership, and expect that they can and will work on it. In many ways, it is very different than the US version that Mercedes exported to the US. I would be very surprised to see that the engine would pass a smog test in many states, because that engine isn't a US compliant engine. In all probability, it might not even have a particle trap in the exhaust system as was required on all the imported diesels from Mercedes. The only what that I would consider purchasing that vehicle, was if the seller were to guarantee that the state that I lived in, would accept the New Hampshire registration, and that the vehicle would pass any emission tests that the state would throw at it.

Here is Pa. at least the registration and bill of sale would fly. 26 years old helps keep it off the radar however were it gas powered it would require OBD 1 emission test BUT since its a diesel NO EMISSION TEST required. Trouble is for OBD 1 DYNO style test the machines are wearing out and breaking cost to repair average I am told is over $1500.00. As one inspection operator told me "Am going to spend $1500.00 to do 20 $35.00 inspection tests a year? So test shops are getting few and far between. This goes for vehicles 1975 through 1995,96 is the first year for OBD II and the modern plug and play test.

Out here as long as there is a state law that titles are not require you can title it. There hasn't been a remote test in over 20 years.

I wounder how they get remote out of smog. had to run off and do my appointment they stopped the safety test out here a long time back. when they discovered that everyone getting one has a light bulb out and the next guy was getting the one they took out of yours. that was some time back in the 80s. I was licensed to be a inspector back when I got home in 71. they never did the the engine test here in the state. the petrol can and will pull you over for faulty equipment. the one thing I wish they had kept was the light check and adjusting of your headlights before you could license the car. but of course that would be moot with the garbage they put on cars today. vary few can be adjusted. but it would help wit the one eyed jacks

There haven't been vehicle or emissions inspections/testing in Iowa, Nebraska, or Minnesota either in decades. Law enforcement can pull you over for non-working/dangerous equipment, but other than that......

I wounder how they get remote out of smog. had to run off and do my appointment they stopped the safety test out here a long time back. when they discovered that everyone getting one has a light bulb out and the next guy was getting the one they took out of yours. that was some time back in the 80s. I was licensed to be a inspector back when I got home in 71. they never did the the engine test here in the state. the petrol can and will pull you over for faulty equipment. the one thing I wish they had kept was the light check and adjusting of your headlights before you could license the car. but of course that would be moot with the garbage they put on cars today. vary few can be adjusted. but it would help wit the one eyed jacks

Isn't that dangerous to have a petrol can pull you over.;)

Attachments

• red-metal-petrol-can-d8ewmd.jpg
    red-metal-petrol-can-d8ewmd.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 126
Here in New Jersey, they have stopped inspecting cars 1995 and older, that includes emissions. It is really a neat little car!

We still have the tax grab I mean emission test, no test no licence sticker renewal, newer cars they have a malfunctioning test they have been getting the bugs out of for 2 years now but with older cars the trick is get an oil change drive for half an hour then get the test I have never failed, it is done on odd/even years,my daughter has a newer Toyota 4 years old the test computer can not recognize the car when hooked up so no test possible ,imagine that a government idea that won't work,

Actually, in NJ, if you register your car as "Historic" it was always exempt from inspection. As for the registration and Bill of Sale, as long as they are done correctly, there is no problem to title and register it here in NJ. As for the "gray market" aspect that Paul Sternberg mentioned, it should not be a problem, other than perhaps having parts shipped from Germany.

This is really perfect for someone that wants a professional car that should fit in a standard garage. As I said earlier, it is a neat car for not a ton of bucks. It sure would be great to see it put back as it was and then see it at PCS events.

Back