how to remove speedomter cluster?

Aloha

I need to remove the speedometer cluster from my 1962 Cadillac Eureka
due to odometer not working.
I have another cluster (from a sedan) to put in.

Anyone have a step by step instructions for removal ?
Thanks
Ricky

Dash

Aloha

I need to remove the speedometer cluster from my 1962 Cadillac Eureka
due to odometer not working.
I have another cluster (from a sedan) to put in.

Anyone have a step by step instructions for removal ?
Thanks
Ricky

If you have a speedo out of a 62 sedan it will not fit. 62 CC still used the 59 style speedo and dash . 59-60 regular caddy,s used the same dash and the same on the CC in 59-60 .The 59 style dash and speedo is used on the CC,s and limos until 62. I would assume a speedo out of a 59-60 car or CC or 61-62 CC or Limo will work. I believe they will all interchange but are some design differences between the years. Best thing to get for it is a shop manual . Do not know if Hollander manuals show this interchange . I ,am sure someone here knows what would interchange . :) Best thing to do is get the one in the car rebuilt check the speedo cable etc. The speedo is bolted to the instrument pad , the whole pad has to come out to remove the speed cluster . If the dash is good be extremely carefully on the removal.

Last edited:
Dan's info is correct, basically the instructions in the '59 shop manual apply to the '62 Commercial Chassis cars as well. Here's a scan of the appropriate pages from the '59 manual for you, sections (50)-(52) ...

A pic/diagram from the manual showing the mounting tabs for attaching the instrument cluster onto the dash pad -

The dash from my '60 Eureka -

And a couple pics of a '59 Fleetwood I serviced last year... I also like to remove the steering wheel for this procedure to allow more room to remove and reinstall the HEAVY dash panel! These pics show more disassembly than you will need, as I also replaced the windshield and headliner in this car -

To add some additional information, the plastic gears on the odometer, and the trip odometer get brittle with age, and then they strip the teeth off of them. I would suggest that you consider having whatever speedometer you have, rebuilt prior to installation. You might get lucky with the replacement, and it might last a long time. If the time to change the speedometer a second time isn't an issue, then go with that, and keep your fingers crossed.

A word more on this. BE VERY CAREFUL with the dash top it is now old and VERY brittle even moderate flexing will crack it. After all the screws are removed from the front of the panel CAREFULLY slide it back towards the seat about 3/4 to 1 1/4 inch to release the side toward the windshield DO NOT lift upward on the dash top you risk cracking it . Have help it is a two technician job. One needs to hold it up while the other unplugs things that do not always unplug easily. I also agree removing the steering wheel is just about a must. Once clear of the dash keep one hand under the cluster to relieve the strain on the dash top as the cluster is a heavy hunk of die cast. Turn the dash top upside down and remove the cluster. If car is equipped with Autoronic Eye support the dash top upside down on pillows its full width to keep the eye from having any weight on it. Remember any man handllng risks cracking GM did not build it with a 40 plus year life expectancy.

first thing is to spray it with a spray tire cleaner. get it out in the sun and let it penetrate the crash pad. just wipe off the excess before it dries. this will soften up the dried out vinyl. that will really add in removing it.

speedometer removal

Thank you everyone for all the helpful information.

And for the pictures and manual Martyn.

Speedometer works fine just the odometer is dead so must be something inside like gear as Paul stated.

I agree I would not put used speedometer in. Mine was rebuilt by Palo Alto Speedometer. Too bad its a 62. Now I have to find a 59 one somewhere.

Thanks again everyone!
Ricky

mine is a 62 speedometer

Aloha,

I had bought a 62 speedometer few years ago and had Palo Alto Speedometer rebuild it.

Then I find out cannot use it as 62 Hearse uses a 59 speedometer.

I looked at it it it looks just like the one in my hearse. I checked my 1959 Coupe De ville and Series 62 and both those speedometers dont look like the one in the hearse.
Did some checking and the 62 I purchased years ago is indeed a 62 and looks just like the one in my 1962 Eureka Hearse. So did Eureka use a 62 speedo in the 62 Eureka or did someone change this out before I bought it.

THanks
RIcky

Speedo

Aloha,

I had bought a 62 speedometer few years ago and had Palo Alto Speedometer rebuild it.

Then I find out cannot use it as 62 Hearse uses a 59 speedometer.

I looked at it it it looks just like the one in my hearse. I checked my 1959 Coupe De ville and Series 62 and both those speedometers dont look like the one in the hearse.
Did some checking and the 62 I purchased years ago is indeed a 62 and looks just like the one in my 1962 Eureka Hearse. So did Eureka use a 62 speedo in the 62 Eureka or did someone change this out before I bought it.

THanks
RIcky

Post a few pics that would help a lot. Stupid question is your hearse a 62 or 63 ? Pics of the coach and pics of the speedo cluster would clarify a lot of this. 63 is completely different speedo and dash pad .

62 Speedo

The speedo in Martyn's 60 Eureka looks just like the one in my 62.

To me it looks the same as the 62 speedo I bought and had rebuilt.

Were 60 to 62 the same? Or perhaps some subtle differences.

In any case looks completely different to the 59 speedo in my 59's.

Confusing.

Anyone know for sure? I can send pictures but do not know how to upload them to this site.
This is a daily driver and cannot be down. Use it for work (not funeral).
Thanks again.
RIcky

they used the 59 cowl up to the 64 car. but I have yet to see one of them that did not have the correct gages and crash pad for the year. they would trim the crash pad and add the wings to fit the cowl. as the gage package was a identifier for the car it was most likely important to GM to have those match.

for the 63 we just stopped in the yard to get a cluster out of a 4 door car. used pieces of it to replace damaged stuff on the original cluster.

remember the dash was built by GM not the aftermarket boys

1962 Cadillac Eureka speedometer

Thanks John good to hear that the 62 Hearse wold have a 62 speedometer.
That also explains why the 62 speedo I had rebuild looks the same as the one in my 62 Eureka.

Thank you everyone!

Speedo

Thanks John good to hear that the 62 Hearse wold have a 62 speedometer.
That also explains why the 62 speedo I had rebuild looks the same as the one in my 62 Eureka.

Thank you everyone!

Rick John was looking for a 63 speedo which is completely different from what you have . Here is your pic of your speedo which is the 59 style. 63-64 CC and up to 65 Limos use the 63 style dash .

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1129.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1129.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 86
62 Eureka Speedo

"Rick John was looking for a 63 speedo which is completely different from what you have . Here is your pic of your speedo which is the 59 style. 63-64 CC and up to 65 Limos use the 63 style dash . "

Hi Daniel,
The pic you posted of my speedometer that I emailed to you looks completely different than a 63 because my Eureka is a 62 not 63.

Does not look like 59 style looks exactly like the 62 speedo I bought and had rebuilt at Palo Alto Speedometer.

My 59 Coupe De VIlle speedo looks nothing like this either.
THanks
Ricky

Speedo

"Rick John was looking for a 63 speedo which is completely different from what you have . Here is your pic of your speedo which is the 59 style. 63-64 CC and up to 65 Limos use the 63 style dash . "

Hi Daniel,
The pic you posted of my speedometer that I emailed to you looks completely different than a 63 because my Eureka is a 62 not 63.

Does not look like 59 style looks exactly like the 62 speedo I bought and had rebuilt at Palo Alto Speedometer.

My 59 Coupe De VIlle speedo looks nothing like this either.
THanks
Ricky

I suggest having Stevie Wonder look at maybe he can figure it out. :)

Back