what a scabby light

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
really that not true it in pretty good shape just has a few years on it. this is the correct light for the 67 superior. and has the correct tag for a demountable superior light. so here is what we did to take a few years off from it.

first we took it apart and blew it out getting rid of Minnesota spiders. they can survive in the cold. no telling what would happen in a warm shop. we checked the light over for broken wires and such the bulbs look good so it test it out. after half a second hesitation it light up and turned around.

so we polished the base. but when we went to polish the globe it has a few marks in it . the heat crack we can't do much about but if we clean it up who will see them. so it course paper finer paper and then ultra fin paper; wet or dry it makes no difference us what you have. now we almost messed up lets get the tag before we polish the globe. it can be drying while we do that.

Attachments

• IMG_0811.jpg
    IMG_0811.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0812.jpg
    IMG_0812.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0815.jpg
    IMG_0815.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0817.jpg
    IMG_0817.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0818.jpg
    IMG_0818.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0819.jpg
    IMG_0819.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0820.jpg
    IMG_0820.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 209
now this tag is not all warn down has some nice sharp lines. so we brush it off with one of the detail brushes and look for red paint. all I could find was the top coat from the 2007 Buick. it's in base clear but for now red is red. so it's put a layer on and let it dry while we buff the globe. found this can of rubbing compound in the car and hay we paid for it lets use it. do a little at a time and don't use much presser what ever you do don't get it hot. it's soft plastic and it will burn. I'm using a 3 inch buff on a drill. your standard head light kit. just keep it wet and moving, soon your done

now for that tag we have drying. since we have that piece of ultra fine paper and it's not used up. lets put it in a block and we will just hit the high spots. cutting threw the paint down to the aluminum. if you need to use a razer blade to pick the paint or of the low spots. we are not trying to sand it flat only cut threw the high spots. then use use some of that jamming clear to cover over it. then go get some coffee while it dries.

your now ready to get it together and get it up on the car.

Attachments

• IMG_0821.jpg
    IMG_0821.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0822.jpg
    IMG_0822.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0823.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0824.jpg
    IMG_0824.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0826.jpg
    IMG_0826.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0829.jpg
    IMG_0829.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0831.jpg
    IMG_0831.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 197
we all ready know we have power up here when we close the switch. so it's clean the contact and blow the dirt out under the plug. then put the bolt in the hole and cinch it down. if when you toss the switch it comes on you can walk away smiling.

Attachments

• IMG_0832.jpg
    IMG_0832.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0834.jpg
    IMG_0834.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 208
Wow, that thing cleaned up nice! Goes to show what some attention to detail and a lot of elbow grease can do!

we got about 3 hr in it. there is nothing a person can't do at home with a drill, one of the head light restore kits and some off the shelf rubbing compound. if your tag is worn off replacements are available. I got one off e-bay, they even stamped in the same numbers for me for the light on the 72. now really I should do that one also. but it's on the car and all that. the fixed light you can take apart on the car with out disturbing the placement of the light. new tag and the correct gasket set and a little elbow grease will improve the appearance of the light for around 60 bucks. do it in the man cave watching the ball came or like me in the garage with the radio one ducking the car race.

Back