Mouse repellant

they clam is that the fabric softener drier sheet work. now me I never found a live mouse in one they were always dead.

I tried them all dryer sheets, moth balls, bait, but the only thing I found that worked was baited traps keeping an eye on them.

Richard

I place moth balls under the cars and dryer sheets inside. We also have four outside cats that help. Haven't had any mouse issues yet.

Watch the Moth Balls a local Police Chief long time friend and customer bought a Crown Vic almost new from a disbanded department. They had filled it with moth balls and it stunk. He had it profesionally cleaned by an environmental outfit it still had a moth ball odor. He made the car his and six months later lung cancer struck. Its been treated and he is doing well township bought him a new Taurus. But the Doctors believe it was the exposure to the Moth Balls that brought it on. He never smoked so go figgure. I pulled the moth balls out of all my vehicles. We had one battle with cancer here with my wife I would rather err on the side of caution that risk the big C.

I have heard numerous other reports that moth balls can cause cancer.... besides the smell is horrible! Too many other options available to take the risk in using them.

Paradichlorobenzene......
Very interesting information here this comes from a website just dealing with "mothballs"...in short it says it causes cancer in rats but not humans ???Even after INGESTING the stuff ?? Hmmmmmmm:confused: :eek:

My opinion is if you believe this,then you will belive that GMO's are good for you too.Sorry for the long read,but as I said very interesting.

•Workers at a manufacturing plant were exposed to up to 550 ppm of paradichlorobenzene in the course of their work. Workers were exposed eight hours a day, five days a week, for employment durations ranging from eight months to 25 years. No hematological effects or eye damage such as cataracts were noted during medical examinations.5 See the text box on Exposure.
•A 32-year-old woman reported consuming at least one paradichlorobenzene mothball per day for two years. Signs included dementia, difficulty speaking, ataxia (lack of coordination), hyperreflexia, distal limb weakness, and skin scaling. Blood plasma contained 34 μg/ml paradichlorobenzene.23
•Twin girls aged 18 years were hospitalized after sniffing paradichlorobenzene mothballs daily for 5-10 minutes per day for a few weeks in the case of one twin and 4-6 months in the other. Signs included intracranial hyptertension, unsteady gait, urinary retention, and neurological symptoms. Total recovery occurred after three and six months, respectively

Animals
•The National Toxicology Program concluded that there was "clear evidence of carcinogenicity" in male rats and both male and female B6C3F1 mice following gavage exposure to paradichlorobenzene.26
•Paradichlorobenzene appears to induce liver tumors through stimulation of precancerous lesions, via a mitogenic mode of action. Researchers concluded that paradichlorobenzene does not appear to be DNA reactive, genotoxic, or mutagenic.27
•Paradichlorobenzene's carcinogenic potential may result from inhibition of cell apoptosis. It does not appear to result from a genotoxic mechanism.28
•Researchers exposed groups of 50 male rats, 50 female rats, 50 male mice and 50 female mice per dose to paradichlorobenzene via inhalation exposure for six hours a day, five days a week, for two years. Treatment concentrations were 20, 75, or 300 ppm. Increased rates of liver cancers were noted in both sexes of mice exposed to 300 ppm paradichlorobenzene. No increased rates of tumor formation were noted in any of the rat treatment groups. Nasal lesions were considered the most sensitive endpoint following exposure.29
•In a two-year study conducted by the National Toxicology Program, mice were dosed with 300 or 600 mg/kg paradichlorobenzene by gavage five days a week for 103 weeks. Treated mice of both sexes developed non-neoplastic liver lesions and kidney abnormalities at greater rates than control mice. Liver cancers (hepatocellular neoplasms) increased in a dosedependent manner in both sexes of exposed mice.26
•F344/N rats were dosed with 150 or 300 mg/kg paradichlorobenzene by gavage five days a week for 103 weeks as part of the National Toxicology Program's assessment. Male rats developed kidney cancers (renal tubular cell adenocarcinomas) at dose-dependent rates. No such renal neoplasms were seen in female rats.26 Adult male rats form the protein á2u-globulin, which appears to have a major role in onset of nephropathy.30

Humans
•The Health Effects Division (HED) Cancer Assessment Review Committee (CARC) of the U.S. EPA has classified paradichlorobenzene as not likely to be carcinogenic to humans.1 See the text box on Cancer.

Cancer: Government agencies in the United States and abroad have developed programs to evaluate the potential for a chemical to cause cancer. Testing guidelines and classification systems vary. To learn more about the meaning of various cancer classification descriptors listed in this fact sheet, please visit the appropriate reference, or call NPIC.

•The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) of the World Health Organization concluded that paradichlorobenzene is possibly carcinogenic to humans, classifying it into Group 2B. The conclusion was based on greater incidences of liver tumors in exposed mice, and a suggested mechanism of carcinogenicity that could plausibly occur in humans.31

Animals
•The National Toxicology Program concluded that there was "clear evidence of carcinogenicity" in male rats and both male and female B6C3F1 mice following gavage exposure to paradichlorobenzene.26
•Paradichlorobenzene appears to induce liver tumors through stimulation of precancerous lesions, via a mitogenic mode of action. Researchers concluded that paradichlorobenzene does not appear to be DNA reactive, genotoxic, or mutagenic.27
•Paradichlorobenzene's carcinogenic potential may result from inhibition of cell apoptosis. It does not appear to result from a genotoxic mechanism.28
•Researchers exposed groups of 50 male rats, 50 female rats, 50 male mice and 50 female mice per dose to paradichlorobenzene via inhalation exposure for six hours a day, five days a week, for two years. Treatment concentrations were 20, 75, or 300 ppm. Increased rates of liver cancers were noted in both sexes of mice.
•F344/N rats were dosed with 150 or 300 mg/kg paradichlorobenzene by gavage five days a week for 103 weeks as part of the National Toxicology Program's assessment. Male rats developed kidney cancers (renal tubular cell adenocarcinomas) at dose-dependent rates. No such renal neoplasms were seen in female rats.26 Adult male rats form the protein á2u-globulin, which appears to have a major role in onset of nephropathy.30

Humans
Cancer
•The Health Effects Division (HED) Cancer Assessment Review Committee (CARC) of the U.S. EPA has classified paradichlorobenzene as not likely to be carcinogenic to humans.1 See the text box on Cancer.

Furthermore, why would you want anything that you own to stink like mothballs if there is any other option??

I use dryer sheets and electronic mouse traps NOT MOTH BALLS or any such products. I had known about the issues years a go. The sheets seem to detract them well and if one gets in they head to the trap bated with peanut butter. I check the traps every week or so. and still get 2-3 a season. Given we store 9 cars that's not to bad. Two things to remember: {1} never let the dryer sheet get on any leather, rubber or vinyl surface, it will damage them. {2} If you do not have access to your cars in storage traps of any kind may not be the answer smelly in the spring.

This is what I use.... and it's made in North Dakota, so it can't be bad. I buy it from a local independent auto parts store, so not sure as to where else you might find it. Farmers use it to keep mice out out of there combine cabs when in storage. Very pleasant smell as well! There are 4 packets in each box. I put 2 of these packets in each pro-car.

Attachments

• IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0270.jpg
    IMG_0270.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 178
Note of caution

Whatever you use,be careful to keep nosy beloved pets away from it,at the farm I help out at we have lost a couple of cats that got nosy,actually they were kittens in training to be mousers..

Last year, someone suggested to me to use cloves. I put the cloves into plastic dishes, and put 2 in the back of the ambulance, and one on each side of the floor in the front. No mice problems at all.

...........and the cloves would be a whole lot cheaper too!! The stuff that I buy actually smells very good!

Back