Windshield

Mike Owens

PCS Member
Gentlemen: What would be my best resource for a replacement windshield for my 1970 Superior Cadillac Rescuer 48" ambulance. It has the green anti-sun bar across the top.

I got a windshield for a 67 Miller Meteor Classic 48 from Pilkington Glass. I believe your windshield should be the same. The windshields they sell are new, great service too. Sorry, but I do not have a phone number, although you can probably google them.

My body man has done an exhaustive search for a replacement windshield for my 1970 Superior Cadillac 51". No luck with Pilkington or CW Coach. This has the green tint bar across the top and a bluish tint. Finally, someone responded via e-mail and said they are not made any longer. Seriously? However, he had one for $1100 plus $150 shipping. I can't do this now financially after redoing her roof and headliner. What say ye about the price???
:confused:

My body man has done an exhaustive search for a replacement windshield for my 1970 Superior Cadillac 51". No luck with Pilkington or CW Coach. This has the green tint bar across the top and a bluish tint. Finally, someone responded via e-mail and said they are not made any longer. Seriously? However, he had one for $1100 plus $150 shipping. I can't do this now financially after redoing her roof and headliner. What say ye about the price???

I talked to Pilkington a few months ago asking pricing on a order of multiple windshields. The crating is the same cost be it 1 or 5 . And if you buy multiples the price comes down. Some of the windshields they can get up to 5 in one crate. At that time the 65-70 was still available?

You need to look at the windshield manufacturers "logo", which is going to be either in the bottom center, or at the bottom in either the right or left corner. I will bet that what you have is a replacement windshield, not an original LOF. Some of the replacement companies used green sunshields, in place of the blue. What the reasoning was, I have no idea. With the windshield part number, the local glass company that deals with Pilkington glass can have it shipped directly to a Pilkington warehouse, and then to the glass installer very inexpensively. You are better off to go through a glass installing company, since if it breaks when they are installing it, it will be there responsibility for a free replacement.

the shaded glass would change run for run. as to tint. the last one I put in someone's 1969 was still around $500 as i call with the $150 freight drop shipped to a business address as already described. it sounds to me like you have a Carlite or PPG. the Libby Owens Ford were original. very light tint. right now it comes from the boys in South America and you get what you get.

With the great help of John Royark Jr., a windshield for my 1970 Superior, DW678 was located at Pilkington Classics. $325 for the glass, $170 for shipping which I think all in all is pretty good. Thanks to all for the info and help...:)

I would have to agree with Attila on this one. He has told you before I did.
YOu have the price backwards though, it is $370+125 shipping.

don't brake your arm guys, Dan had that in the first reply and this was the response to it.

the problem was the man was looking for a match to the one he had which is no longer manufactured by that company. there is how ever a replacement glass built by the boys in Argentina that is available through a number of sources.

My apologies Attila, I had a lot of advice and information thrown at me in a short period of time. Thanks again for a good and accurate reply.

Mike Owens ;)

Back