Battery enclosures

Michael Mykulak

PCS Member
Darren's Bedford's friend Dave, from Ontario Canada asked me to post a wanted for him. He is looking for two battery enclosures, that he descibes as battery hold down retainers? He descibed them as, a type of resin plastic box, that has a flange at the bottom, to hold down the battery. The top has a moulded handle formed into device. Best I can recollect, Dave said it is a 1975-1976 era item. To contact Dave !-416-467-7301 ( Two are needed)

I remember these they had a handle to carry the battery and a place for cables to enter,short lived item. As far as 76 Cadillac goes, memory says not compatible with side post batteries. Idea was (I THINK) TO KEEP acid contained when battery boiled over from overcharging a common thing with big alternator 70s ambulances.

Enclosures......

I had the "Container", covering the battery on a 1985 Plymouth Gran Fury. Having owned two types of Furys, police and civilian, I saw them in a variant of two different heights. Being in a colder climate, my thoughts were that they served as an insulator for the battery as well as a device to encapsulate battery acid from migrating around the core support. Four sides were solid, the bottom open, with the hold down flanges moulded into the container, then the top rolled over a bit to capture the battery with the handle moulded into it. Dave claims to have found one so far but could not justify paying the $75.00 plus S+H

Mike,
It is interesting that you refer to Dave as "Darren Bedford's friend"! Is he not your friend? I dare anyone to call Dave! You may regret it! Lol

now from my phone call from him I gleaned among the general discussed of batteries and they ways and means of installing that what he was looking for was a set of factory battery hold downs. the plastic ones that one end fastened to the radiator support and then went across the battery with a tab that went on each side of it and then a bolt went down to the tray and hooked into a slot.

we talked about how I put them in the 75 or Roberts. I cold remember that we had to use the shipping base and ground it down to keep the battery at the right height to use them. but here it looks like I modified a couple of aftermarkets to keep both the same. on side was factory and the other MM on the car when it came up.

Attachments

• 1975 batterys.jpg
    1975 batterys.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 91
Battery box

Mike,
It is interesting that you refer to Dave as "Darren Bedford's friend"! Is he not your friend? I dare anyone to call Dave! You may regret it! Lol

Well I hate to get myself into a pickle, because how I phrase something. Last time I talked to Dave, he told me about an auction they went to together, which netted some good items by Darren, with Daves leeds. If I have inadvertently wrote something wrong, sorry. I have never sold Dave anything, so hence he is not a past customer. Typically, Dave just gets on a phone calling jag at times, and starts canvas calling, what seems like a few of the forum members looking for parts. I have indicated to Dave that Ed Renstrom is far better at answering his questions than me, most every time he has called, and although I have never spoken to Ed about him, I gather Ed is helping him with information. So good question Kurt. Here is the dictionary definition of friend. "A person whom one knows well and likes". I don't know Dave well, but he is a likable person, it seems to me, by what I do know. I went back to the dictionary and found, "acquantance" a word which better suits my relationship. "A person one knows only slightly". So minceing words 101 for today. All I can say about that. Okay, got what you were hinting at. Dave is extremely long winded, plan on being on the phone for quite a long time.

Last edited:
long winded and a fast talker but interesting. how many of the people we know will fit into the category of will known acquaintances.

but from my conversation he is looking for a pair of battery hold downs for his 76

I was only "ribbing" Mike because I know first-hand that Dave can get to be very obsessive. I got involved with trying to help Dave out with some parts after his nasty accident. Dave never leaves a phone message and will keep calling you until you answer the phone. I still work for a living. On one particularly crazy work day for me, Dave tried calling me exactly 35 times on my cell phone(I am not exaggerating!). It ticked me off so badly that I blocked him on my cell phone.

Back