Federal 66G question

James Fischer

PCS Member
Seller has a model 66G that is 6V ,he says it was mounted on a 1954 firetruck (has pics) that was 12v.......

Would this not shorten the life of the siren ?
And how would this affect the "wind up" if at all ??

Thank you for your input !!

Seller has a model 66G that is 6V ,he says it was mounted on a 1954 firetruck (has pics) that was 12v.......

Would this not shorten the life of the siren ?
And how would this affect the "wind up" if at all ??

Thank you for your input !!

For what we use it for, I wouldnt think it would effect the life much. I have been running a 6 volt siren through 12 volts on my 49 S&S since 2005 with no ill effects, and I play with it alot. As far as the windup I have not heard the same siren as mine in person to make a compairison, but do know mine is very loud and rolls for almost 3 minutes when wound up.

A 66G (grill) siren is not a coaster siren, so once you let off on the power, it will shut down quickly, just like a motor. If you want a 66G in 12 volts, I have one in the garage, but it isn't going anywhere until after the storm. You still have the issue of finding the correct mount for whatever siren you purchase. To me, it seems like a siren is one of the last things that you will need until all the rest of the issues with the car are rectified.

A 66G (grill) siren is not a coaster siren, so once you let off on the power, it will shut down quickly, just like a motor. If you want a 66G in 12 volts, I have one in the garage, but it isn't going anywhere until after the storm. You still have the issue of finding the correct mount for whatever siren you purchase. To me, it seems like a siren is one of the last things that you will need until all the rest of the issues with the car are rectified.

Well you are correct,I dont NEED one right now however as seldom as GOOD or DECENT sirens come up for sale I feel it does not hurt to plan accordingly ,I also have the 66G that will be coming off the 72 which will be getting a Q2 ....

The 6V 66G in question does have a four bolt mount and seems to be at a angle....not sure if that would work or not but I was just trying to "edumacate" myself on the 6v vs 12v...
Like I said in another post I may just wind up going with a B&M,since the other mounts seem to be so difficult to aquire......

Be SAFE in the "storm of the century" as they are billing it out here.....( I just finished cleaning the pool filters for swimming this week-end).....:)

Last edited:
The Federal siren mount is a 10 degree angle. Here is a post that I made a while back . It will show you the 10 degree Federal 4 bolt mount. It isn't suitable for your car, unless you mount the siren very high on the roof. Same for the Federal Q, it is a flat roof or a 10 degree mount. The only company to make a 20 degree mount is B & M Siren Company.
Miller Meteor used an aluminum wedge block to accommodate the slope of the roof, such as the Criterion.
Superior accomplished the same thing by using a 2 bolt adjustable mount as shown by John "Ed" Renstrom. As Steve Loftin pointed out, there are also 2 versions of this elusive siren mount.
Last fall, I cam across a small cast brass wedge that was used by the Sireno Company to adjust the siren base for the slope of fire truck fenders.

For what we use it for, I wouldnt think it would effect the life much. I have been running a 6 volt siren through 12 volts on my 49 S&S since 2005 with no ill effects, and I play with it alot. As far as the windup I have not heard the same siren as mine in person to make a compairison, but do know mine is very loud and rolls for almost 3 minutes when wound up.

Just to clarify, the siren I mentioned is a stripped down C-6

The Federal siren mount is a 10 degree angle. Here is a post that I made a while back . It will show you the 10 degree Federal 4 bolt mount. It isn't suitable for your car, unless you mount the siren very high on the roof. Same for the Federal Q, it is a flat roof or a 10 degree mount. The only company to make a 20 degree mount is B & M Siren Company.
Miller Meteor used an aluminum wedge block to accommodate the slope of the roof, such as the Criterion.
Superior accomplished the same thing by using a 2 bolt adjustable mount as shown by John "Ed" Renstrom. As Steve Loftin pointed out, there are also 2 versions of this elusive siren mount.
Last fall, I cam across a small cast brass wedge that was used by the Sireno Company to adjust the siren base for the slope of fire truck fenders.

I know not the best picture but, would you say that this is a 'homemade" mount ??

http://freerevs.com/gallery/photo.php?id=242224

I know not the best picture but, would you say that this is a 'homemade" mount ??

http://freerevs.com/gallery/photo.php?id=242224

I don't know if it is homemade, but it is one way to use a "wedge". Most likely it is a Miller Meteor wedge. The fender mounts with the Mars 888 lights also look like they are Miller Meteor mounts, although there is no reason to believe that Superior wasn't capable of making fender mounts also.

siren

just get a restored B&M Jim. Dorgan siren sales i'm sure has a restored on, and any mount you desire. Not only does it look good by appropiate for that year. mount 2 PA speakers between the beacon rays like Foothill did for may years. Shallac!

Back