Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > Technical Discussion Forum

Technical Discussion Forum For the discussion of technical questions about Professional Cars and their repair and maintenance. Posting in this forum is limited to PCS Members and / or Site Supporters. We encourage all website users to become members of the Professional Car Society and / or become Site Supporter.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:11 AM
PCS Member/Super Site Supporter/Paramedic Supervisor

Thanked 1,026 Times in 341 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Driver's side mirror - help needed

I'm hoping that someone with a Pontiac/GM parts book can help me out. Attached are 2 photos of the driver's side mirror for my '53 Pontiac/Barnette. It's based on a Chieftan chassis. Is this mirror familiar to anyone? It has the following number on the botton - 518843. The letters "KW" are also present on another area of the mirror. It attaches by way of a hook that fits into the smaller of the 2 mounting holes in the door. The arm that the hook is mounted on is then rotated by way of a larger screw (accessed through the larger hole).

As you can see, it's missing the mirror part. I'm looking to see if this was an add on or stock piece. At least then I'll know if it may exist somewhere or if I need to choose another mirror altogether.

Sorry the pics are a bit blurry...the autofocus didn't work so well.

Thanks

Bill
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2009, 10:01 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,385 Times in 610 Posts
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile mirror

Bill,
This looks like the mirror arm on my friends 53 Cadillac. The mirror head is set so it mounts off center. I guess that assists in getting a wider view if needed. I think this is a common (for the 50s) GM part. The KW has me wondering. I will look at one of Larry's mirrors this week and get back here.
I know there was at one time a KW tool company. Wonder if they also made parts for GM.
Mike
61 MM
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Stevens For This Useful Post:
Bill Leverett (09-30-2009)
Old 10-02-2009, 12:21 AM
PCS Member/Super Site Supporter/Paramedic Supervisor

Thanked 1,026 Times in 341 Posts
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Mike...what a keen eye. You're right, the arm of the piece is curved so the mirror piece is offset from the base.

Bill