Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:58 AM
Account Suspended at user request

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Federal 28 Siren ?'s

Hey guys!

I'd like to tap, once again into the wealth of knowledge here. I have the opportunity to purchase this Federal Model 28 siren.

I'm not hip to this part of professional cars. I know hardly anything about the lights and siren, as i mostly deal with hearses, but i am very anxious to verse myself in this aspect as well. It appears to have been crudely painted black. I assume it was probly chrome. It does work and is very LOUD.

What would one expect to pay for such a critter? Any thing i should know about this particular model? Thanks so much for any input guys

Paul

Old 10-23-2012, 09:31 AM
PCS Elected Director

Thanked 7,678 Times in 2,074 Posts
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts

It actually doesn't look like it was a chrome siren. Those sirens (without the "bullet" on the back) were designed for under-hood mounting. As such, they were factory painted, usually black or gray. So it's not as bad as you'd think.

As for price, check e-bay for recent sales of Federal Model 28 sirens. Without checking, my guess would be around $100-$150.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Lichtman For This Useful Post:
Paul Yates (10-23-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Website Member

Here's a picture from a 1949 catalog. In later years the color was changed to hammertone gray and the mount was adapted for demountable use. The motor is the same as is used in Federal's big-boy "Q."

Steve's correct in saying that yours was not chrome-plated. While Federal's designation for yours is a Model 28, the chrome-plated version (which includes motor cover) is a Model 66.

As Steve said, they were popular for underhood applications; however, FDNY used a potful of them roof- and bumper-mounted in the '60's/'70's.

Steve is also correct in his value assessment. You might consider having a motor-repair expert assess its internals before purchase.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack Ramsey For This Useful Post:
Mike Stevens (10-23-2012), Paul Yates (10-23-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 02:50 PM

Thanks guys, and to those that sent me PM's, for all the great info. I'm working out a price as we speak, might go pick it up this evening. Now, would anyone care to try and tell a complete NEW-BIE how one would wire one of these bad boys?

Thanks guys!

Paul
Old 10-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Website Member

The nut/bolt protruding from the motor is the positive lead. Use 4-gauge (sometimes called "No. 4" or "battery") cable with appropriate ring connector. Unit is grounded when mounted to the vehicle, assuming it's mounted to a metal surface, which is mounted to a metal surface, etc. Fuse appropriately.

If testing with a power source other than a vehicle (battery charger or such), attach the positive lead to the aforementioned nut/bolt & secure the negative lead to the siren's base. Ensure the siren is secure before applying power, and keep fingers away from the rotor.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ramsey View Post
The nut/bolt protruding from the motor is the positive lead. Use 4-gauge (sometimes called "No. 4" or "battery") cable with appropriate ring connector. Unit is grounded when mounted to the vehicle, assuming it's mounted to a metal surface, which is mounted to a metal surface, etc. Fuse appropriately.

If testing with a power source other than a vehicle (battery charger or such), attach the positive lead to the aforementioned nut/bolt & secure the negative lead to the siren's base. Ensure the siren is secure before applying power, and keep fingers away from the rotor.
Ok. Thank you. Seems straight forward. So the siren is grounded by its houseing, and power is applied by the pole on the side. Now will i require a solenoid for this set up? If not, what would i look for as a switch? Like a push button? I assume it will need to be capable of a certain amount of amps.

Thanks so much again.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Website Member

Sorry I forgot to mention the solenoid. The answer is "yes." Can't remember the amp-draw on the 28. Anyone? I prefer a momentary-contact foot-operated switch. www.colehersee.com can help with the solenoid & switch. Forgot about this picture provided by a kind soul on another board.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jack Ramsey For This Useful Post:
Bruce Oliphant (10-28-2012), Jeremy D. Ledford (10-23-2012), Paul Yates (10-23-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Website Member

Paul, Rust-O-Leum makes a hammertone silver paint that comes very close to matching the original color of this model.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Steffe For This Useful Post:
Jeremy D. Ledford (10-23-2012), Paul Yates (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 12:51 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,385 Times in 610 Posts
Default that relay

The relay in the picture looks like the starter realy on my 65 Ford Galaxie. Around $20 at most auto parts stores. Used to be 6 bucks but times have changed. Since the motor on the siren is pretty much a starter motor a Ford realy should work.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Stevens; 10-24-2012 at 12:52 AM. Reason: ad info
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Stevens For This Useful Post:
Paul Yates (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 06:58 AM

Thanks Mike! Thats good to know. I have some ford starter solenoids laying around, so i should be in business!

Thanks again so much for the info guys. Nice to have a resource like this to make an informed decision to purchase something somewhat obscure. Thanks again!

Paul