Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > Emergency lighting and Sirens

Emergency lighting and Sirens For discussion of emergency lighting and sirens as they are associated with Professional Cars. Posting in this forum is limited to PCS Members and / or Site Supporters. We encourage all website users to become members of the Professional Car Society and / or become Site Supporter.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:54 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 2,083 Times in 849 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Federal PA20 issues......

Well this is the first time I have tried to use the PA on the PA20....and cant get it to work......I have checked the mic connections,............ its a brand new mic,so I know its good......I do get a crackling in the outside speakers(CP25x2) and volume can be adjusted...but nothing else...
The siren works fine in all positions yelp-manual etc.....the light also illuminates.....
Any ideas here ??
Thanks again.......
Old 10-18-2012, 04:34 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,407 Times in 3,728 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

Wrong microphone... New doesn't mean that it is correctly wired for the Public Address (PA) function...
Old 10-18-2012, 04:49 PM
PCS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Steinberg View Post
Wrong microphone... New doesn't mean that it is correctly wired for the Public Address (PA) function...
Paul,
The NOS mic is from a NOS Federal PA20..(small blue mic) that I have......just did not want to install a NOS unit if I can make the the one that is already in there work....I have already tried several Motorola mics...also.....especially since I almost never use the the PA anyways...

I am thinking something in the wiring coming into the PA20 box ?

Thanks
Jim
Old 10-18-2012, 05:33 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,607 Posts

James,when you put the siren on yelp,or wail key the mike does it silence the siren.Because it should when folks did not hear the siren we could talk to them via the PA and releasing the mike button it continued the siren.

Last edited by Wayne Krakowski; 10-18-2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: adding text
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne Krakowski For This Useful Post:
Kevin Lynch (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 11:27 PM
PCS Member

They often had to remove the microphones because there was too much talking to people that didn't hear the siren.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott A. Anderson For This Useful Post:
Skip Goulet (11-13-2013), Wayne Krakowski (10-19-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 12:18 AM
PCS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Krakowski View Post
James,when you put the siren on yelp,or wail key the mike does it silence the siren.Because it should when folks did not hear the siren we could talk to them via the PA and releasing the mike button it continued the siren.
Wayne,YES..the mic does stop the siren when keyed.....and then resume ...
So I am good there......just ask my neighbors.....
Just cant get it to work when speaking......
Old 10-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Website Member

Thanked 6,951 Times in 2,288 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 13 Times in 5 Posts

Look at Paul's avatar. That is a true example of what it is like to own a pro-car.

Throwing money out the window.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:56 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,127 Times in 460 Posts
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

Jim,make sure the mic is pluged into the siren correctly.I know there is a slot that should line up,but i have seen them plugged in wrong before.

also,try cleaning the siren function switch with electronic spray cleaner,as the switch may be dirty.
Good luck!
Old 10-19-2012, 12:08 PM
PCS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Vyse View Post
Look at Paul's avatar. That is a true example of what it is like to own a pro-car.

Throwing money out the window.

Richard ,
That may be the way some people see it ...but speaking for myself I DO NOT see it like that......
I have spent countless amounts of money on other things like the latest patio furniture or the bigger pool,or perhaps a new boat(now there is a money pit)...or even this months newest computer/tech/phone gizmo that was already outdated before I even open the box and will have to get a new one in 6 months......
I enjoy Pro Cars,I enjoy classic cars and I dont mind putting money into them to restore them or at the very least keep them running.
Its fun,educational,and rewarding especially if you were ever associated with any of them..like working in one etc.....
So I think MOST if not all members here really dont mind the sometimes "hassle" of the vehicle.....its all part of the game....and the rewards can/are VERY rewarding both for yourself and others that enjoy looking at your vehicles.......
I only wish I could change one thing.......that would be the ability to get MORE time........I can always get more money,but havent figured out a way to get more TIME.........LOL......
And I am sure you feel the same way......or you wouldnt be in this !!

Last edited by James Fischer; 10-19-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:53 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 3,276 Times in 1,620 Posts
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Fischer View Post
Richard ,
That may be the way some people see it ...but speaking for myself I DO NOT see it like that......
I have spent countless amounts of money on other things like the latest patio furniture or the bigger pool,or perhaps a new boat(now there is a money pit)...or even this months newest computer/tech/phone gizmo that was already outdated before I even open the box and will have to get a new one in 6 months......
I enjoy Pro Cars,I enjoy classic cars and I dont mind putting money into them to restore them or at the very least keep them running.
Its fun,educational,and rewarding especially if you were ever associated with any of them..like working in one etc.....
So I think MOST if not all members here really dont mind the sometimes "hassle" of the vehicle.....its all part of the game....and the rewards can/are VERY rewarding both for yourself and others that enjoy looking at your vehicles.......
I only wish I could change one thing.......that would be the ability to get MORE time........I can always get more money,but havent figured out a way to get more TIME.........LOL......
And I am sure you feel the same way......or you wouldnt be in this !!
Well stated. Its not about the money, its about the enjoyment these cars bring you. People would have me locked in a looney bin if they actually knew how much I had wrapped up in my 85 Superior FWD over the years.
1985 Eureka Pontiac Chieftain hearse
1995 Superior Chevrolet Chancellor hearse
See all my pro cars past and present in my photo album