Who can identify the cars in these photos?

all the MM had a tag on the inner fender that list the body type and the number for the car. that number was a production number. the 68 I have is a combination or like John said duplex it would be limousine style with removable panels. it could still be a duplex but not have the glass then it would be a landau style. they built straight hearses and duplexes this way with or with out removable panels. ambulances were built in the Limousin style with different roof heights. the tag for this 68 list it's production (model) number as 6868. lot of conversion the meaning of this number. the excepted one is that this car would be the 68th built in anybody style in 68 modale year. the model year would start in September of 67 so this car would be a build date of summer of 67 if that holds true. superior used a different tag and numbering system. there's was usually on the cowl. here are pictures of my 68 set up both ways and the MM tag. the serial number on this car is the same as the GM number on the cowl.

Attachments

• IMG_5021 68 MM combo.JPG
    IMG_5021 68 MM combo.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 852
  • IMG_5023 1968 MM combo with panels on.JPG
    IMG_5023 1968 MM combo with panels on.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 828
  • IMG_6746a.jpg
    IMG_6746a.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 815
I have seen cars ordered without the landau bars but it is rare, most likely they are just missing.

Not sure what you mean by "is 611 examples for the Superior Sovereign Landau the total number of this style over more years"? 611 is the number for just the 1974 models. Other years will have a different total. Hope this helps some, if not let me know.

Yes, the model year production was what I meant. Thanks!

1987-1992 Cadillac-based hearses

I now shift to the Cadillacs based upon the 1987-1992-chassis I think.

lrr_4.jpg

Chassis: 1987 or 1988 Cadillac. I don't know of a commercial chassis, but I read the Brougham was used as a basis for the coachbuilders. This particular car has a wheelbase of aprox 147.5 inch. Maybe the coachbuilders stretched the chassis themselves...?
Coachbuilder: Eureka
Style: landau...

lrr_5.jpg

Chassis: 1989 Cadillac. Would be Brougham-based, but this particular car has a 145 inch wb instead of the 147.5 of the car above...
Coachbuilder: S&S
Style: landau

lrr_6.jpg

#10 unsharp photo unfortunately.
Chassis: 1990-1992 Cadillac. Would be Brougham-based again, again with the 145 inch wheelbase.
Coachbuilder: Superior
Style: landau.

Thanks in advance! Any info is welcome!

all the MM had a tag on the inner fender that list the body type and the number for the car. that number was a production number. the 68 I have is a combination or like John said duplex it would be limousine style with removable panels. it could still be a duplex but not have the glass then it would be a landau style. they built straight hearses and duplexes this way with or with out removable panels. ambulances were built in the Limousin style with different roof heights. the tag for this 68 list it's production (model) number as 6868. lot of conversion the meaning of this number. the excepted one is that this car would be the 68th built in anybody style in 68 modale year. the model year would start in September of 67 so this car would be a build date of summer of 67 if that holds true. superior used a different tag and numbering system. there's was usually on the cowl. here are pictures of my 68 set up both ways and the MM tag. the serial number on this car is the same as the GM number on the cowl.

ED, there were also straight ambulances available in landau style, not just limousine style, although not as common.

I now shift to the Cadillacs based upon the 1987-1992-chassis I think.

lrr_4.jpg

Chassis: 1987 or 1988 Cadillac. I don't know of a commercial chassis, but I read the Brougham was used as a basis for the coachbuilders. This particular car has a wheelbase of aprox 147.5 inch. Maybe the coachbuilders stretched the chassis themselves...?
Coachbuilder: Eureka

lrr_5.jpg

Chassis: 1989 Cadillac. Would be Brougham-based, but this particular car has a 145 inch wb instead of the 147.5 of the car above...
Coachbuilder: S&S
Style: landau

lrr_6.jpg

#10 unsharp photo unfortunately.
Chassis: 1990-1992 Cadillac. Would be Brougham-based again, again with the 145 inch wheelbase.
Style: landau.

Thanks in advance! Any info is welcome!

Their is no commercial chassis listing for these becaquse the last year Cadillac produced a commercial chassis was 1984. After that year they were built on a beefed up Brougham and used the cut and stretch method.
You have all the coachbuilders listed correctly.
As far as numbers the only ones avalible are for the Superior:
1990=376
1991=385
1992=369

right you are John but it'something most of us have never even seen.

as for the later stuff let me pass on this site here in case you don't know about it http://www.coachbuilt.com it has the history of about every maker large and small.

this set is still based on a commercial chassis built by cadillac. the nose used was the same as the Brougham body of that year. the only cut and splice were the limos. all the hearses were built on a standard Commercial chassis in this body style. as John stated up to 84. a check with the coach builder site will confirm when accubuild started production under the common names. but by late 80s all the big names were built by them.

Their is no commercial chassis listing for these becaquse the last year Cadillac produced a commercial chassis was 1984. After that year they were built on a beefed up Brougham and used the cut and stretch method.
You have all the coachbuilders listed correctly.
As far as numbers the only ones avalible are for the Superior:
1990=376
1991=385
1992=369

Thanks John. Do these cars have a "type" or "name" like the Park Row from 1959?

as for the later stuff let me pass on this site here in case you don't know about it http://www.coachbuilt.com it has the history of about every maker large and small.

this set is still based on a commercial chassis built by cadillac. the nose used was the same as the Brougham body of that year. the only cut and splice were the limos. all the hearses were built on a standard Commercial chassis in this body style. as John stated up to 84. a check with the coach builder site will confirm when accubuild started production under the common names. but by late 80s all the big names were built by them.

What do you mean this set is based on a commercial chassis did I read your post wrong? they are newer than 1984 so they used the cut and stretch method, even the hearses.
Thanks Ed for mentioning that starting sometime in the 80s Accubuilt started aquiring all the brands so S&S, Superior, Miller-Meteor and Eureka were built under one roof. I didnt even think of mentioning that. in the 70s through the 90s Coachbuilders were bought and sold so much its hard to keep track of the parent company...LOL

Ed, I know the website, but never used it for this purpose. Thanks!

Thanks John. Do these cars have a "type" or "name" like the Park Row from 1959?

Yes, the 87-88 Eureka was called a Concourse, the 89 S&S is a Victoria, and the 90-92 Superior in your pic is a Sovereign, but there were other models avalible.
Also, from 1985-92 Cadillac hearses were build on both the rear wheel drive Broughm, and the front wheel drive Fleetwood, and Deville. Other front wheel drive chassis used in this time were also, Buick, and Oldsmobile.

What do you mean this set is based on a commercial chassis did I read your post wrong? they are newer than 1984 so they used the cut and stretch method, even the hearses.
Thanks Ed for mentioning that starting sometime in the 80s Accubuilt started aquiring all the brands so S&S, Superior, Miller-Meteor and Eureka were built under one roof. I didnt even think of mentioning that. in the 70s through the 90s Coachbuilders were bought and sold so much its hard to keep track of the parent company...LOL

I have a digital book about coachbuilders, but I really got confused in nearly all these coachbuilder's histories!

The Accubuilt-thing could clarify the fact the first car with body by Eureka (not owned by Accubuilt at that time) has a longer wheelbase than the Superior and S&S... S&S and Superior were both owned by Accubuilt in this period and therefore have the same wb length... Hope that makes any sense...?

I have a digital book about coachbuilders, but I really got confused in nearly all these coachbuilder's histories!

The Accubuilt-thing could clarify the fact the first car with body by Eureka (not owned by Accubuilt at that time) has a longer wheelbase than the Superior and S&S... S&S and Superior were both owned by Accubuilt in this period and therefore have the same wb length... Hope that makes any sense...?

Makes sence. The Eureka you posted was built in Canada, totally seperate company than Accubuilt, so their cars are different.

Yes, the 87-88 Eureka was called a Concourse, the 89 S&S is a Victoria, and the 90-92 Superior in your pic is a Sovereign, but there were other models avalible.
Also, from 1985-92 Cadillac hearses were build on both the rear wheel drive Broughm, and the front wheel drive Fleetwood, and Deville. Other front wheel drive chassis used in this time were also, Buick, and Oldsmobile.

Great!
Do you think the cars in my pics are based upon the Brougham though... Otherwise, I may have to dive into that identification-matter.

I have found two Buicks from the '90s and include one Lincoln:

lrr_7.jpg

Chassis: Buick Roadmaster, 1991-1996
Style: landau, is this a Sovereign?

lrr_8.jpg

#8 looks similar to car above.

lrr_9.jpg

Chassis: Lincoln town Car (2nd generation built from 1990-1997, this is one from after the facelift (1995-1997).
Coachbuilder: S&S?
Style: landau, does this style have an additional name?

Thanks again!

Great!
Do you think the cars in my pics are based upon the Brougham though... Otherwise, I may have to dive into that identification-matter.

Yes they are the rwd Brougham. The fed cars are much much more smaller. You can look in my photo album on this site and see a pic of my fwd Superior, you will see what I mean. Its so low you can reach across the roof of the car.

I have found two Buicks from the '90s and include one Lincoln:

lrr_7.jpg

lrr_8.jpg

#8 looks similar to car above.

lrr_9.jpg

Chassis: Lincoln town Car (2nd generation built from 1990-1997, this is one from after the facelift (1995-1997).
Coachbuilder: S&S?
Style: landau, does this style have an additional name?

Thanks again!

Correct, the Buicks you show are both Superior Sovereigns, although there were other models available. I would need to know the exact year for production numbers. No idea why the first pic has Chevy wheelcovers, I know its not a Chevy. (Superior Chevys had a shorter wheelbase, (you can see pics of my Superior Chevy in my photo album)
As far as the lincoln goes, It is a S&S Park Lane, which seems to be a pretty rare car (I dont have any production numbers, but they dont come up for sale or even seen very often). 1996 Was the first year for the S&S commercial glass Lincolns, so its not any older than that.

Correct, the Buicks you show are both Superior Sovereigns, although there were other models available. I would need to know the exact year for production numbers. No idea why the first pic has Chevy wheelcovers, I know its not a Chevy. (Superior Chevys had a shorter wheelbase, (you can see pics of my Superior Chevy in my photo album)
As far as the lincoln goes, It is a S&S Park Lane, which seems to be a pretty rare car (I dont have any production numbers, but they dont come up for sale or even seen very often). 1996 Was the first year for the S&S commercial glass Lincolns, so its not any older than that.

Nice! The first Buick would be from 1994 and the latter from 1995, although this info is not completely reliable.

I like the fact that Lincoln seems to be rare. It has quite a long wheelbase.

I'll put the other Lincolns below.

And here the lincolns.

lrr_10.jpg

Chassis: Lincoln Town Car (3rd generation, 1998-2011, but this is a car from before the facelift in 2003). It is first registered in 2000
Coachbuilder: ???

lrr_11.jpg

Chassis: Lincoln Town Car (3rd generation, 1998-2011, but this is a car from before the facelift in 2003). This one is first registered in 2001.
Style: Landau...

lrr_12.jpg

Chassis: Lincoln Town Car (3rd generation, 1998-2011, but this is a car from after the facelift in 2003). This one is first registered in 2005.
Style: Landau...

lrr_13a.jpg

lrr_13b.jpg

Chassis: Lincoln Town Car (3rd generation, 1998-2011, but this is a car from after the facelift in 2003). Car is still on trade plates, so may very well be new.
Coachbuilder: Federal???
Style: Landau... is this what they call a family hearse or does it have an official name? Interesting car, and very long!

lrr_14.jpg

Chassis: Lincoln MKT. Still on trade plates, so possibly new.
Coachbuilder: Eagle, the American Eagle (there is also Wilcox/Eagle in the UK)
Style: Icon? Landau

Hope I don't ask too much! I'm really impressed and grateful for all your time and effort.

I have no where near the knowledge of these guys, but i have seen a few of those 6 door hearses. I believe it is indeed a Federal XG Family hearse. Seem more popular overseas than in the U.S. Im sure someone will chime in shortly with more info. Thanks for sharing these great pictures.

but they did produce hearses on this body from 77 to 92. basically the same body and that was my reference. the shoe box brougham is most likly the longest running body style Cadillac had

Back