Tool Box

Mike Owens

PCS Member
So PCS Gurus, what should you always carry with you in your tool box, and especially if your doing the parade venue with your classic car???

Parades are their own challenge

Assuming you've checked all fluid levels in advance....

Water - several gallons - for the radiator.
Last week I bought fire extinguishers for all my vehicles- especially made for vehicle and marine fires. (Home Depot).
Cold drinking water.
Watch your water temperature! All stuff I've learned.....

Enjoy!!!!

Suggestions from a retired towman.
#1 three gallons of water in plastic jugs
#2 Good set of jumper cables (NO Chinese cheapies Cadillacs draw a lot of amps)
#3 three quarts of transmission fluid in bottles not cans
#4 a funnel to put it in with
#5 a combo phillips strait slot screwdriver
#6 Cheapie Walmart/Harbor Freight 3/8 drive socket set
#7 Spare Alternator/Generator belt
#8 Spare Power Steering belt
Advanced Care
#1 top Radiator Hose
#2 Bottom Radiator hose
#3 three feet of correct size heater hose (this way you can bridge entire heater system in the event of failure)
#4 Spare fuel filter
That all may sound like overkill but will get you back on the road quick without AAA and "you expect me to haul that??" and you all have the room in your coaches. Plus walking into NAPA with I need a fan belt for a 1958 Cadillac is sure to get you "We can have it by Tuesday" not good when you are 50 miles from home.

Advanced Care
#1 top Radiator Hose
#2 Bottom Radiator hose
#3 three feet of correct size heater hose (this way you can bridge entire heater system in the event of failure)
#4 Spare fuel filter
That all may sound like overkill but will get you back on the road quick without AAA and "you expect me to haul that??" and you all have the room in your coaches. Plus walking into NAPA with I need a fan belt for a 1958 Cadillac is sure to get you "We can have it by Tuesday" not good when you are 50 miles from home.

WOW, guess Im under prepared, don't like the clutter. 24 years of driving them daily, and Im lucky if I have a screw driver and a quart of oil in one

WOW, guess Im under prepared, don't like the clutter. 24 years of driving them daily, and Im lucky if I have a screw driver and a quart of oil in one
I find that I don't prepare the same for daily driving as I do if I'm traveling. If I break down in my daily travels, help (and my own toolbox / parts) are generally just a phone call away, and I really don't carry much in the car. A trip out of the area, or a parade, I definitely give more thought to. Pete's list is a pretty good one - I would add a roll of good electrical tape (not the cheap stuff) - I've made it a hundred miles on an upper radiator hose repaired with a few wraps of the stuff, and don't overlook your spare tire - make sure it's aired up, and you have an appropriate jack and lug wrench. While the original scissor jack that came with most of our cars may win us originality points at the show, I've tried to lift my car with it, and much prefer the convenience of a hydraulic jack.
For parade service, I would suggest that you can't place too much importance on the cooling system - a marginal cooling system will suffice when you're out on the open road, but a long run at low speed can quickly overheat your car. Make sure the system is clean internally, the radiator fins not plugged with dirt and debris, new hoses, appropriate antifreeze mixture, water pump working and in good shape, new thermostat (I'd go with one of the fail safe ones that's supposed to fail in the open position if it fails.), fan belts in good shape and tight. Also, make sure the transmission is up to snuff - service it if it hasn't been done recently, make sure the fluid is a good color, and doesn't smell burnt and is kept at the correct level.
Advanced Care
#1 top Radiator Hose
#2 Bottom Radiator hose
#4 Spare fuel filter

Pete - Excellent list, but I have to get in one little jab -
Where are you still buying transmission fluid in cans?:p

Home, garage, workshop, vehicle - wherever - mount the extinguisher so it stays in one place, allowing everyone to always know its location. Regularly look at the gauge to ensure the needle is in the operable zone. Recharge after ANY use, regardless what the needle indicates, since residual extinguishing agent may cause a slow leak of what remains. If a carbon dioxide extinguisher, which has no gauge, regularly weigh it to ensure it matches the weight listed on the neck. If an extinguisher has a testing device, such as a pin, press it regularly to ensure it "springs back."

Extinguishers are "fire-specific" - Class A (wood, paper), B (flammable/combustible liquids), and/or C (energized electrical equipment). Packaging which indicates an extinguisher provides protection for certain items is an unfortunate marketing ploy. An A-B-C extinguisher is suitable for general use.

Mount extinguishers near exits so escape routes are more easily accessed. Get as close to the fire as possible and aim the extinguisher at its base. Use it in spurts, conserving it for flare-ups. Try to attack from upwind. Expect the extinguishing agent, except carbon dioxide, to cause coughing & eye irritation.

All this is easily said, and I realize "things happen" in the heat - no pun intended - of the moment. :)

I have never been in a parade with the Eureka or Horton but the Eureka has electric fans on it so I put an over-ride switch on it so I can turn the fans on all the time........the Horton is belt driven so its running all the time. I was watching a few fire muster parades on UTUBE and noticed that some parades the Fire Trucks are spread out so the are moving and can get some air flow while some parades are all bunched up and hardly moving.

I find that I don't prepare the same for daily driving as I do if I'm traveling. If I break down in my daily travels, help (and my own toolbox / parts) are generally just a phone call away, and I really don't carry much in the car. A trip out of the area, or a parade, I definitely give more thought to.

Even a trip to the store is an hour away, so Im always somewhat out of the area. I do many parades and used to travel all over. I guess I figured Im better off without tools in my hand, and I check everything before I leave, so far it has worked, or Im just lucky. My cars are driven much more than most drive their collector cars (some here are lucky to put 200 miles a year, which I don't understand), so I don't have the issues with cars get that sit more than run.
One thing I know some people carry I haven't heard mentioned yet is points and condenser.

Tire changing items:
  • Hydraulic floor jack (rated for the weight of the car)
  • 4-way lug wrench
  • Wheel chocks
I can't tell you how many times I've used my hydraulic jack at PCS meets, often to help others.

sweetums.jpg

"Jack not name. Jack JOB!"

Just had an incident on Sunday.Returning from Cadillac show in buffalo when my car vapor locked on me. Had tools,but did not feel like getting dirty.(at point of breakdown I was only 12 miles from the house) Called AAA and told them it was a Cadillac station wagon (Steve's suggestion) The truck they sent turned out to be a friend's company.
He was thrilled to be hauling such a cool car, and got me home safe and sound via his flatbed wrecker.After sitting for an hour she fired right up!
All's well that ends well!!!
PS: Got A trophy for "best modified":)

Best modified

I was entered in A professional car class,but 2 newer hearses and 1 limo got those. Apparently the Cadillac club considers an ambulance to be a modified vehicle. I think they do not understand the concept of a "commercial chassis", even after I explained how the car was built.:rolleyes:

I was entered in A professional car class,but 2 newer hearses and 1 limo got those. Apparently the Cadillac club considers an ambulance to be a modified vehicle. I think they do not understand the concept of a "commercial chassis", even after I explained how the car was built.:rolleyes:

At least your coach won, that still proves others loved your car too. Ive been put into about every class, from stock, modified, station wagon, special Interest, Chassis make, year, and Im sure a few others. Technically if you had a 84 and newer (or a company that did not use a commercial chassis) it would be "modified", so its all in the perception.
Im not a trophy hunter, just one more thing to collect dust, but I always enjoy knowing that others liked my car enough to vote for it over all the "normal" cars being showed.
Congrats on the award!

the best tool box addition will be between your ears. but the only part one will ever need is the one you don't have. you can't bring the parts car with you. as stated a good jack that you can store, a good lug wrench and a spare with air are about the most necessary things. if you change the belts before they brake then you can roll the old one up and put it in a bagge under the spare. (why would you buy a new one and put it, in not on the car? ) it's out of site and yet a good limp home insurance. so the best thing to do is, think to your self county road, dark of night, wind howling, rain coming down. under those conditions what could I do to fix this thing if it brakes down. if the answer is call for help, then make sure you have a charger or spare battery for your phone, know were you are and a credit card thats not maxed out. that's all you will need.

the best tool box addition will be between your ears. but the only part one will ever need is the one you don't have. you can't bring the parts car with you. as stated a good jack that you can store, a good lug wrench and a spare with air are about the most necessary things. if you change the belts before they brake then you can roll the old one up and put it in a bagge under the spare. (why would you buy a new one and put it, in not on the car? ) it's out of site and yet a good limp home insurance. so the best thing to do is, think to your self county road, dark of night, wind howling, rain coming down. under those conditions what could I do to fix this thing if it brakes down. if the answer is call for help, then make sure you have a charger or spare battery for your phone, know were you are and a credit card thats not maxed out. that's all you will need.

Very good idea about the belts.
Yeah, Im one of those call for help kinda guys, and have a credit card just for those instances!

Back