darn one tear in the inside.

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
you have all see that nice old original interior with one panel with a tear in it. no matter how you try to do it you can replace just one section and have it match especially if it's a headliner. if you redo one section it stands ole like a sore thumb. will it's worth a try to brake out the curved needle and your unused container of dental floss and see if you can make it serviceable. here we were working on the back of a seat in a 2006 Monte Carlo but the principle is the same. we were able to go for darn to this in a half hr of work. fallow along here http://www.dropshots.com/jer57747/date/2016-10-19/11:00:38

Attachments

• IMG_4237.jpg
    IMG_4237.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_4242.jpg
    IMG_4242.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 228
It Can be done...

What we do is match the stipple on the vinyl and cut a new panel in, then have a dye expert airbrush it. We just saved (2) original door panels here because S&S had sewn the design straight through the backing board on the 1959. Never seen that done before! Made for a real challenge.

Great if you have those resources. Tell me what is your cost? In this case the dental floss was free ,the tub of vinyl repair is around 4 bucks at the ace hardware and a half hour of a retired man's time. The car is low milage S&S but not something I'm looking to sell. I could do as you suggested r&r the seat strip the cover off the top, take to rapid they. could replace the panel redie it adding the fader to match. Then go back up and get it a weekend later. I have done this on a car that it was necessary on. But it's not necessary if you can do a quality repair on a low budget car. Like a daily driver.

Or that one tear in the headliner. A curved needle and some time can make the difference in a present able car or one that gets put in the south lot. The 75 Stageway is a fine example of this. I doubt that anyone saw the torn headliner in it. I had to point it out when we were judging the cars on the show field,to the rest of the people on my team. But had i done nothing it would stab you in the eye every time you looked into the car.

As for the time it will last. It will most likely last as long as the rest of the seat. You have taken care of the weak spot. Or in the case of the headliner till you replace it.

Back