TPC 168 Arrived Today!

Bill Marcy

PCS Member
I was thrilled to receive the latest edition of The Professional Car today! And as some of you know, I am a huge fan of station wagon ambulances, so I am in my glory! They have so many great pictures and articles on these fascinating cars! And I got to see my old 1964 ACC Olds Vista Cruiser Amblewagon that now belongs to Jim Vowell, I still love that car.

Great job, as usual!

I loved this edition too, as most could assume. I'd be happy with anyone of those odd ball conversions! Speaking of which, the car listed as mine on page 18 (actually a 1969), sadly is no longer mine. I passed it on to a fellow collector not long ago.

And on the subject of Abbott & Hast conversions, I was really excited to see the advertisement on the upper right of page 13. It's actually not a Universal Coach conversion though. It's an Abbott & Hast. In the original photo I have of the middle car, you can make out the nameplate, which says Abbott & Hast (some years ago, Ron Hast had sent me all the original factory photos). Anyway, this ad is the first time I've seen or heard of Abbott & Hast offering an ambulance or combination. Every other reference to one of their conversions I have is for a straight hearse. I had a list of questions I wanted to ask Ron the next time we spoke, including that question, about building ambulances and combinations. Sadly, both he an Allan passed away before I ever had the chance.

I really enjoyed the history of the station wagon (including the origin of the term) and all the interesting examples of station wagon conversions shown. Of course I'm especially happy to see mention again of Richard Brothers Briareans. A minor correction however, although the optional rear door was fiberglass, the 6" raised roof was in fact fabricated in steel. Allied Products had acquired many factories that supplied the automobile industry , and even purchased the South Bend Studebaker stamping plant in 1964. I am forever indebted to member Rich Koski for helping me acquire some original Briarean ephemera, and also to a grandson of the Brothers who filled me in on family and company history.

ephemera ........ What is it?? Is there a cure for it??? :D

adjective
1. lasting a very short time; short-lived; transitory: the ephemeral joys of childhood.

2. lasting but one day: an ephemeral flower.

noun
3. anything short-lived, as certain insects.

Got mine today and what a great issue, they really continue to supply us with a wealth of info and we are so lucky to have them thanks to all who make this a premier magazine:applause:

Back