Mine too... Carrier bearing bad!

Just talked to the mechanic and turns out my carrier bearing is bad on the Lifeliner. Jim is trying to get a rush bearing shipped in and get it replaced. Hope it makes it.

Crap, I thought I had that replaced in 2009 before the Flint meet. :stars: NAPA is supposed to have them available.

What I posted in another thread about this topic!,

I know the replacement bearing (not the carrier itself) for the 71-76 Cadillac CC cars at Napa is 6908-VAL. The original was a New Departure 88077E66Z.

Now the carrier itself can be purchased through Rubber The Right Way 1-866-789-7879
Bearing Support Bracket Assembly, 1966-1974 Series 75 and Commercial Chassis CORE REQUIRED Part# 09003U $180.10 each.

You're right Jeremy. NAPA cannot get one here until Friday, maybe. My mechanic found a driveline shop in Daytona where I'm taking it tomorrow and they claim they can change it while I wait. Time is of the essence!

Wish me luck!!!! :071:

Richard at least you found out BEFORE the trip...:pat

Kuddos to all of you who have the adventure, Bxxxs to make a long journey. I know it's the advenure.

Even though I'm really anal in maintaining both our vehicles when we make our California runs we rent. :my2cents:

I needed one recently for a 84 S&S I had and the driveline shop we use won't do without replacing all the joints so cost me almost $500.

A lot of places take the easy way out (and probably the correct way) when replacing a carrier bearing on a two piece driveshaft and take the u-joints out so they can get to the bolt that holds the two shafts together. Sometimes the u-joints are rendered unusable when you take them out (particularly the originals, which have seals that are meant to be broken apart to get the joint apart) so then they ding you for the cost of the u-joints and the labor to R & R. On the truck I just did the repair on, I took the driveshaft out and got it on the workbench, and I was able to get a wrench in between the u-joints to loosen the bolt that holds the two shafts together, but it's a rather tedious process where you only get about 1/8 of a turn on the bolt each time before you have to take the wrench out and flip it over.

I watched as they removed the two piece drive shaft and did not take the u-joints apart. They had to remove a weight on the front end of the shaft allowing the entire shaft to be removed.

As Todd mentioned, the big hex nut is removed then slam out then slam in the new bearing. I thought I had this replaced in 2009 but this guy said it was an original. Makes you wanna go "HMMMMMM".

Attachments

• Photo290.jpg
    Photo290.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 318
Never "FREAKING" ends. The car is quiet and smooth so this afternoon I'm at the house and give it a quick wash over. I move it to the garage in back and discoverd tranny fluid on the driveway, and not a few drops. The guy must have done something to the rear tranny seal when playing with the drive shaft.

NAPA has a seal so it goes back to him tomorrow. I'm starting to get the feeling I was not meant to go on this trip.

:clubem:

no all you did was disturb the universe that held the old car together. it will pay you back by forcing you to replace parts till the car god is happy again. then it's smooth motoring for awhile, till you change something else and tilt the world again. bring the car I have something for it that will make it happy

no all you did was disturb the universe that held the old car together. it will pay you back by forcing you to replace parts till the car god is happy again. then it's smooth motoring for awhile, till you change something else and tilt the world again. bring the car I have something for it that will make it happy

I tell you this, if one more thing goes wrong it is staying home. It's at the shop this morning and they say they will have it fixed by noon.

Finger crossed!!!!

Tel me about it:2gunsfiring_v1:

I tell you this, if one more thing goes wrong it is staying home. It's at the shop this morning and they say they will have it fixed by noon.

Finger crossed!!!!

I'm still trying to get the Chevy ready for the trip, and it seems that everything that can go wrong is going wrong. I think that we should postpone the meet for a couple of weeks, until everyone can have their cars ready... :stars:

I'm still trying to get the Chevy ready for the trip, and it seems that everything that can go wrong is going wrong. I think that we should postpone the meet for a couple of weeks, until everyone can have their cars ready... :stars:

I'm sorry that I'm not the only one having last minute issues but you might be on to somethng Paul. I'm sure it will all work out for us.

I heard from Bill last night and he is having a carb problem with the Suburban. Spent last night in Athens, OH and was was going to the Nissan dealership to see if they could do something with it. The issue is it will not idle and hope a minor adjustment is all it takes. He's going to Nissan since they are right next to the hotel he stayed at.

:pat::pat::pat::pat::pat::pat::pat:

Just got a call from shop, it is done!

Richard, I hope it is all ready to go now. :alc: Am doing last minute things to mine as well...goes in tomorrow afternoon for a new muffler, pipe and resonator, as it has a Thrush muffler on it now and sounds like a truck. I got the three new pieces from Classic Exhaust in Geneva, OH. No one around here could get anything that would fit. Had my rear windows tinted today...they look AWESOME!

I hope I dont have any car issues. If I do it will sit on the road with a free sign in it and we will be walking home, car repairs are not in my budget, oh well what else is new.

Don't feel bad Richard, happens to all of us. I wait all year for this weekend (Goodguys Columbus - imagine if the PCS International meet were less than 50 miles away from you every year, that's what this is to me), long story short, I went out to get gas for the ambulance, and ultimately discovered I had two collapsed front brake hoses, and that I have no idea what they are off of! I've already cut two days of the event short to work on it, and it looks like it's ready to roll again. We'll find out tomorrow. I hope it's fixed, because there's no way I could drive it to Hudson that way. It gets bad enough mileage as it is, without the brake rotors glowing red the whole trip...

Back