Help identify these lights.

Fender Lights

I believe those are Solaray Model 18 oscillating lights.........:rolleyes:

and,they are Kool lights...in my opinion..

Last edited:
Federal Model 18 Solar-Rays - behind the red lens, the bulb is constantly on, but mounted to a plate that oscillates up and down (driven by an electric motor), giving a wobble effect, instead of the usual flashing.

yeah it is beat up...funny though this was on elightbars.org for 6 months,,,at $149.00,he lowered it in November to $109.00...guess it sold....
Now shows up on Ebay at over $200 bid....hmmmmm:eek:

You can aim them...

I had two on my Pirsch on the front fenders. One had a red lens and one was clear. If you loosen the ring near the front, the whole front piece can rotate. Mine were set for one to go up and down, and the other sideways.
I have these in the front tunnel lights of my 75 Lifeliner.
Worth a lot! $$$

What model of lights are mounted on the front fenders ?.....beautiful car.

Very nice old car, Mike. Any idea where Hess was from? Unusual to have the Superior bullets on top rather than C/B's torpedo lights.

I bought a '66 C/B Olds Seville ambulance in '77 from Summers Coach in Duncanvile, TX, and it had the only the base of a pair of the torpedo lights on the front fenders when I got the car, which had seen duty in Lake Charles, LA at Holston's Ambulance.

I have them flush mounted to the top of one of my rigs. I don't how I feel about pod mounted units on a car but on the bumper of a fire unit would look great.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV4eYzdq2GA&feature=youtube[/ame]

I wish Youtube embedding worked a tad better here.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pV4eYzdq2GA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wish Youtube embedding worked a tad better here..

It isn't the website, but the way that the youtube video was posted, I believe. I have had the same problem from time to time, when I follow links. No matter what, I always manage to find the glitch, and fix them for the members.

I have them flush mounted to the top of one of my rigs. I don't how I feel about pod mounted units on a car but on the bumper of a fire unit would look great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV4eYzdq2GA&feature=youtube

I wish Youtube embedding worked a tad better here.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pV4eYzdq2GA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Believe it or not, the best way to embed a youtube video is to simply post the long-form link without using the embed tool or coding. That's the only way I've ever gotten it to work properly.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV4eYzdq2GA&feature=youtube"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV4eYzdq2GA&feature=youtube[/ame]

P.S. Very cool video Darryl, thanks for sharing!

Sola-Rays for sure

They may be SolaRays, but they could also be PropelloRays, too. Hard to tell just by looking. Nice...and I love the Olds ambulance.

Propello Rays had a chrome ring around the spinning lamp. They also took a "fog lamp" that gave a flat like beam. Restored a propello ray and powered it up close to a wall and that's exactly what the beam looked like-a moving propeller.

Propello Rays had a chrome ring around the spinning lamp. They also took a "fog lamp" that gave a flat like beam. Restored a propello ray and powered it up close to a wall and that's exactly what the beam looked like-a moving propeller.

Actually, the ring around the Propello-Ray light was silver plated, just like the reflectors on the old cars that used incandescent bulbs, instead of sealed beams. While chrome plating is very brilliant a finish, it doesn't reflect light as well as a silver plated ring.

The Propello-Ray lights have one major flaw, and that is that the bearing that the light head spins on is a bearing within a bearing, and sometimes doesn't work as well as it was designed. Federal chose to use a open bearing, and it would get gummed up with dirt, and as a result, it would cause the gear to wear out, and the bulb wouldn't turn. A number of years ago, I had the original phenolic gear reproduced in brass. I still have a few of these gears left. When I last tried to purchase the bearing, I was told that it was no longer in the system, which was their way of saying that it has been discontinued.

Back