More frustration

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
Made it up to rapid for my veterans group. We had a good session. Then things went down from there.
Took the ECM i got off Amazon out to the chevy dealer that has the Montie. They were to call me a couple weeks ago when they could get it in to put that one in the car while we waited for the original to come back from the rebuilder. I got informed today that the rebuilder had contacted them and stated there was nothing wrong with the original ECM. So we spent 600 bucks on there word for a spair. I hate dealerships.

So as long as we were out there we swing over to see what the shop found out on the tranny for the 64. It's not repairable every piece of steel in there is badly rusted and the aluminum is so corrosive to the point it's a guestion if it would clean up or not. They have one they may be able to piece togather. My buddys at A&A have a few they want 500 each for. Plus 250 core charge. I have bought cars with one of them for less. More shopping to do.

Ed, just a thought, if you don't mind. I assume you are talking about a two-speed PowerGlide, am I correct? Why don't you do what some people did, back in the day? Maybe you should install a 350 trans in the car, then you have a three speed reliable transmission. That is my suggestion.

If one was going to do a transmission swap they would go for a 700r4. That way you have the overdrive. They have the wire harness out for them too manually shift the OD. but what are you going to get for a shifter? You could get a late modal coloum for the 350. So it would look factory. Remanufactured the rear cross member and the drive line to fit your choice of transhmission. Or spend your money putting back in what it had. For me its a what are you going to do with the car afterward. Are you driving across country in a non ac car or running around locally?
Neither rout is any cheaper. One way gets you a modified car which if i wanted a hot rod chevy it would not be this body. The other gets you a car that closely resembles the one Pinner put out. Which is my goal. The frustrating part is this transmission was gone threw. just 10 years ago but because it was never completely installed and filled with oil it is now unrebuildable. Luckily i can replace it. And get by with only changing the yoke on the drive line. If we can't come up with a early one. I just hate a dead horse this is adding more time on to when I can get the motor in and get this car drivable. I find my self now with 3 that don't run. Driving me up the wall. But one at a time. We will come out. Mean time I'm on the down hill side of the 53. But a warning here don't set things aside for tomorrow. finish a task. Had the engine and transmission been put togather filed with oil on this car when it was installed it would be a running car now. Then i would be 1500 ahead on this rebuild. Had i taken the 454 olds engine up to a rebuilder when i discovered it was in need of going threw, that car would be running. When after sitting for a hour then firing right up i should have run the monte to trusted repair facility. They say troubles come in threes and you set your self up. But now that i have my nose fixed and i can breath for the first time in 20 years things will fall in place. Mean time its one day at a time do something positive and every day. Like stop buying cars till your caught up.

Last edited:
Found out to day that the Early 350 would be a option that would not require modification to put in. They have a indecater that will go on the 64 orrect for the transmission and all the kick down and control rods are the same. So that is a good option.

Found out to day that the Early 350 would be a option that would not require modification to put in. They have a indecater that will go on the 64 orrect for the transmission and all the kick down and control rods are the same. So that is a good option.

I thought it was an easy conversion, that is why I suggested ut. Plus, a 350 is much better than Slip&Slide PowerGlide.

Back