Headlights

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
I have been meaning to adjust the headlights on the 67 since I got it, so 2 years later, I finally got to it.

Of course, 3 out of 4 were cooperating really well except for the dim (upper) one on the driver side.

The adjustment screw for the up / down settings is not working properly. I removed both the driver side and passenger side headlights to see if I could note something different in the set-up and found that there seems to be something missing behind the screw.

I did not take the whole assembly apart to investigate closer, but what seems to be missing may be a spring and a retaining nut, I'm not sure.

Does anyone have a diagram of the assembly? I have looked for one, but can not find one.

Thanks,

picture.php

There should be a tension spring at the 7 o'clock position. Here is a picture of what it is supposed to look like. The "sample" is a two bulb horizontal housing unit, however, they are all the same principle. I have pictured the spring. This spring hooks onto the stainless steel bulb retainer in the small hole that is at 7 o'clock... If the headlamp adjusters are worn out, you can purchase replacements at NAPA. Just make sure that you get the correct ones... Close enough is not good enough. The top screw adjusts the up / down of the sealed beam, and the one at 3 o'clock adjusts the right and left movement of the bulb.

Attachments

• MVC-884F.JPG
    MVC-884F.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 133
Can't see it in the picture, but the spring is there. I'll go to the auto parts store later this week to see what they can do for me.

use a small hook to catch the top of the hook on the spring and pull toward you to release it. the light can then be slid out of the adjusters. I can't say what they look like as they have so many of them. but it's most likely that it's one of the plastic ones and the plastic has striped out or it has split. if you can't find one post a picture of it and I'll send you one. it will take 2 weeks to get to you but at least you'll have one. the other thing that happens to them is the adjuster gets pulled threw the slot and you'll need to tap it back flat to keep it in.

Stoped at APM today and the guy lent me a couple different headlights screw assemblies to try out. When I got home I took the lights off and here is what the screw is attached to.

picture.php

picture.php

I guess that the barrel must be cracked or something, so when a certain amount of pressure id but on it, it allows the screw to slide out.

I'll go back to APM tomorrow to return the screws he lent me and see if he has a source for these. Ed, do you have any of those kicking around?

went out to look I only have 6 of them. don't have a clue were they came from as they weren't in the Curtis kit I got back in 74. that modal was bad for braking the plastic. most of the time we butchered one of the steel one back in.

Attachments

• IMG_5270.jpg
    IMG_5270.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5271.jpg
    IMG_5271.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 77
Back