'72 Superior Pontiac End-Loader

At least they did leave you something to work with. Looks like lawn tractor seats back there.it would be a young kids ride.

...it would be a young kids ride.

Why?

Do only "young kids" like hearses and have $14K in disposable income to spend on a collector car from a dealer? I could easily see it end up as an "old kids ride," perhaps hauling a slew of grandchildren in "haunted comfort."

I see no reason to presume "young kids" are the sole owners of poor taste (real, imagined, or just our opinion) on professional cars.

Why?

Do only "young kids" like hearses and have $14K in disposable income to spend on a collector car from a dealer? I could easily see it end up as an "old kids ride," perhaps hauling a slew of grandchildren in "haunted comfort."

I see no reason to presume "young kids" are the sole owners of poor taste (real, imagined, or just our opinion) on professional cars.

Oh poked a sore spot did we. I was referring to riding in the back. I would really not have enjoyed crawled into the back and setting on one of them for there tours.

Ed was referring to the lack of comfort in sitting on those added rear seats which sit flat on the floor. You would have to ride with your legs straight forward. Only young kids would be comfortable sitting back there.

Lighten up Patrick! You read waaaay too much into every post! Try contributing something positive for a change.

Something positive like bringing a car to our attention only to tell us that its practically worthless and the seller is delusional. You're right, I will have to remember that that's the definition of positivity.

I've met Ed in person twice over the last few years, and he's been quite kind with me both offline and online - so I believe his reply was an attempt at just lighthearted teasing.

However, as Mr. Martin notes - words matter. This forum is one of the most significant public outreach venues the Society has. What I desired to do was a reminder that there are sadly few "young" folks in the Society, let alone "active" like Noah Dorsey and myself. It is my personal belief that the greatest challenge the PCS will have over the next 10 years is developing a means to continue its message for the preservation of these cars. While there are both "young" and "old" who do not appreciate them the way we and the Society values - it is the "young" that we need to target and not give the appearance of dismissing.

I never worked on a professional car ambulance, and never personally saw one in service (despite the fact there were a few still out there during my lifetime). However, look at the nationwide network of Fire Museums and ask yourself why a 20-year old fireman spends his off-time polishing a 1920 Diamond T ladder truck? I am sure there are plenty of funeral directors and EMT/Paramedics who would be willing to preserve their legacy too - if presented to them in the right way...

Something positive like bringing a car to our attention only to tell us that its practically worthless and the seller is delusional. You're right, I will have to remember that that's the definition of positivity.

I did not say that it "was practically worthless". Those are your (negative) words. I simply said that it was a $2500 car, which it is based on completed sales results. It looks to be a very solid car that could be relatively easily returned to its former dignity. Nothing negative was said about the car itself. I post cars, parts, etc. which I feel would be of interest to the members of this site. And what do you contribute to this site other than popping on periodically to slam someone??

So then let's all agree to move on.:beatdeadhorse5:

Kurt's points are well taken on the coach. Price is out of line not to mention that saying you can put a red light on it, add a first aid kit, oxygen tank and a BP cuff certainly does not make this a combo. Also saw a note that it has a fender mounted siren? Didn't see that in the photos. Adding a VHF radio head does...?

Do what you want to a vehicle, just don't call it something it's not.

Last edited:
Most people that run this kind of business as you can see from the printing. Have gone the tear everything out to make a limo rout. This car was at least saved that rout. But time would till if all the rollers were still there and the flooring still salvageable. .

The problem is they are a cheap car that's why so many of them get hacked up. A windowed van would have been more practical for the business but would have cost a whole lot more.

As for younger members attracting them to a stock car club is difficult. It just doesn't have the interest to the majority of younger people. Look at the other similar clubs. Like the CLC. If you think back to the group of people that joined us Friday night at Gettysburg. There were not a big number of under 30 people in that group of about 100 cars that showed up. Hand full is all I saw. The key is when you find one interested showing them the value of being in your group.
I think back to when I was in my 20s I doubt if I would have been involved for more then a walk threw Of the show field. The majority of us have a connection to the cars in some manner. that is what gives us the desire to keep them origional.

Agree

Most people that run this kind of business as you can see from the printing. Have gone the tear everything out to make a limo rout. This car was at least saved that rout. But time would till if all the rollers were still there and the flooring still salvageable. .

The problem is they are a cheap car that's why so many of them get hacked up. A windowed van would have been more practical for the business but would have cost a whole lot more.

As for younger members attracting them to a stock car club is difficult. It just doesn't have the interest to the majority of younger people. Look at the other similar clubs. Like the CLC. If you think back to the group of people that joined us Friday night at Gettysburg. There were not a big number of under 30 people in that group of about 100 cars that showed up. Hand full is all I saw. The key is when you find one interested showing them the value of being in your group.
I think back to when I was in my 20s I doubt if I would have been involved for more then a walk threw Of the show field. The majority of us have a connection to the cars in some manner. that is what gives us the desire to keep them origional.

Have to agree with you here Ed.The 2 ambulances that I own are very special to me since they are the exact make,model,year,and style that I started working on when I was 18 and fresh out of high school...(1972)....so that would be MY connection...:thumbsup:

Have to agree with you here Ed.The 2 ambulances that I own are very special to me since they are the exact make,model,year,and style that I started working on when I was 18 and fresh out of high school...(1972)....so that would be MY connection...:thumbsup:

I agree on "stock car clubs" - in fact I would take it one step farther. All "car clubs" have been damaged from an increasing "un-technical" society. It's surely been difficult for me to get past even basic maintenance consisting of dropping off at a shop. But, I don't see the PCS as a "car club." I have near-zero interest in other cars.

Every week at the San Antonio Fire Museum, similar fire museums, and in the garages of dedicated Society for the Preservation and Appeciation of Motor Fire Apparatus of America (SPAAMFAA) members nationwide - young (and older!) folks who never saw a antique fire engine in service spend their time and money to preserve them and share them with the public. These early apparatus certainly have little in common with the massive equipment of today. However, these folks do so because of feeling a connection to tradition, history, and the legacy of being a fireman. I am sure the military and the various historical organizations surrounding nearly every time period requires me to say nothing more to prove my point.

Why must it necessarily be any different for EMT/Paramedics? The above feelings are why I now am the custodian of four antique ambulances - although I have only worked in a "monster medic" ambulance. While I did not see the local "car club" participants who showed up during that evening in Gettysburg, you omitted the local EMS crew that drove by the the show and was blown away by the spectacle. The "National EMS Museum" organization has proven itself ineffectual with 10 years of fundraising and now not even a "virtual museum." Sadly, an apparent plurality of younger ambulance service providers seem to know little more than "Ghostbusters" and that modern EMS supposedly came from a Federal government tired of "body snatchers in modified hearses" letting folks die in the street. For funeral directors - I'd suggest we have an easier time when hearses still exist in similar form to what they always have, and it's not uncommon for "older" cars to be still in service.

It's been a turn-key operation for the PCS to exist since it was created. Cars were plentiful and cheap, just coming out of service. Their operators - like Mr. Fischer here - were more than happy to buy them for the sake of preserving a past they lived. I am so glad to have met the Pinners, but wish I had gotten into this earlier and been able to meet Mr. Cassens and those who built my Hi-Boy too. Today, PCS has a window of opportunity - growing shorter year by year - where those who actually ran a call with these vehicles (the ambulances in particular) can share this with younger generations and understand why these cars are worth more than scrap steel. Previous generations of firemen did so, and that is why motor apparatus that is 90 years old still rides out in parades to this day under the care of "under 30 people." We can either chose to be THE historical society for ambulances and funeral cars similar to SPAAMFAA, or we can watch an increasingly rapid decline and the loss to the crusher of what the Society worked for since its inception. Please know I have indeed brought up some simple ideas with the PCS leadership team and have offered my time to help execute them.

Last edited:
I was invited up to the state EMS convention to replay one of my cars. I did do with a number of photos of different makes and models of car based ambulances. There was interest but only of the cool neat and over to the new toy being shown.

The numbers of firemen first then as a necessity EMS providers is fare greater then EMS providers. But all it takes is some one to except the challenge. Looking forward to what you have in mine

People find the hopped up stuff as the cool stuff.

Attachments

• g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 108
  • g4.jpg
    g4.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 109
  • g5.jpg
    g5.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 109
  • g6.jpg
    g6.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 108
  • g7.jpg
    g7.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 108
  • g8.jpg
    g8.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 108
  • g9.jpg
    g9.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 109
  • g10.jpg
    g10.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 106
Where as we see these as the cool stuff because we know the tradition of a true Pro-Car.

Attachments

• n4.jpg
    n4.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 84
  • n5.jpg
    n5.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 85
  • n6.jpg
    n6.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 83
  • n7.jpg
    n7.jpg