1970 Cadillac Royale

Mike Owens

PCS Member
I am the proud owner of Brian Whelan's 1970 Superior Cadillac Royale 51" Ambulance. Mr. Whelan was above board in our transaction and I compliment him on making things work easily. Somewhere in her history "Bessie" was painted after being originally red. It has been suggested that a true restoration would return her to the original 1970 Superior red paint.
Would any one know what the name of that paint color would be and would it still be available today, from who?

There should be a plate on the rig with the original colors on it. Failing at that American La France red was popular in that era. MOST Auto paint stores can mix you any color from their computer files. Also congats on the purchase of a beautiful rig I am sure you will enjoy it.

Last edited:
GM Flame Red

I get my paint from Finish Masters. I think the code is 53A and it's called GM Flame Rd; I believe it is also known as 1960 Pontiac flame red but I'm not sure. I use it on ambulances and fire trucks. Take a peek at my site; the 1970 Chevy Suburban is it as well as my 35 Chevy.
My first Caddy (the 74 Criterion) was Dynasty Red.
Good luck with that car!!!!!!!!
Kevin

Paint

Congratulations Mike !!:applause:

I was beginning to wonder when they were going to deliver it !!:cool:

My 70 Rescuer is:

#72 Dynasty Red... GM Code WA4460.... Sherwin-Williams 3380/5373 or Ditzler 2544

#11 (1970) Cotillian White...GM Code WA3967....Sherwin-Williams 2864/2588 or
PPG 2058

The original paint was as Peter stated American La France Red,however I chose Dynasty Red since it is more of a brighter red as opposed to the dark red of the ALF.
When I had it painted last year I also found that 2008 Ford Vermillion Red 42497 is a VERY close match to the Dynasty Red.

We will anxiously await its return to red! Also, please, put the '70 Cadillac wheel covers back on it! No wire wheel covers in 1970.

I don't, personally, like the look of wire wheel covers or radial tires on anything 1970 or older.

1970 Cadillac Royale-Wheel Covers

Ok, PCS mentors, where would I find appropriate wheel covers for 1970 Bessie, and what would the wire covers on there now be worth???

Standard '70 Cadillac wheel covers are common and shouldn't set you back much. You should be able to find them in good condition for $5 to $15 each.

Back