Whoops

Found this on facebook. Looks like a rough day for some Cadillacs. "EL derailment in Portage N.Y. Winter 1972. Train was eastbound and derailed at a switch before river junction." Credit: Mike Symonds‎ share from Rochester Area Railroads and Railfans

Attachments

• caddy derail.jpg
    caddy derail.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
I have owned quite a few 1972 Cadillacs over the years, they are a personal favorite of mine. I even had a triple black Brougham, just like the first car!

I was called in by the insurance co to bid on this loss at the time. Too rich for my blood. Did not matter anyway GM bought the whole load from the insurance co and they were all crushed. Was told by my insurance connection that GM did not want to see any of the cars sold or put on the road bad for business. This was before the Salvage auctions of today and the big outfit that handled these type losses for the insurance co.s was Underwriters Salvage Co. Of new York.

My bet would be that was the story but 72 was still the wast not want not years. GM most likely ran them threw a quick test and gave them out to executives. That would be a win all round. But they would not have. Wanted them to go out of there hand's

Wrong! a friend in NY who repairs Cadillacs arranged to get some parts from the cars from the crusher company after bribing the GM rep there to Photograph each car with VIN crayoned on the side to photo the complete side. Sadly they were crushed.

Back