replacing turn signal switch 62 Cadillac Eureka

Hi,

I was trying to replace the turn signal switch and have to pull the steering wheel first.
According to the manual "disconnect horn wire from top of steering shaft"

It is soldered to the horn control shroud and was afraid if you pull other end out of shaft as may not get it back on.

Have to remove it though to use puller to get steering wheel off.
Anyone know? Do I just pull it out and then how to reconnect it down inside the shaft. Not clear in the manual.

Thanks Ricky

Every car is different, so without a picture, I can't help with this one. Only one that would know is a person who owns a 1962 Cadillac and has taken the steering wheel off.

got to love some of those manuals. the information is there. try looking up horn see if you get any help there.

Hi
Thanks for reply.

The manual says "disconnect horn wire from top of steering shaft"
no details how so I may just have to pull it and hope for the best.

Ricky

If you are referring to the wire that goes to the horn ring, then that wire will just pull out. I have no recollection of what the 1962 horn blowing devise looks like. If the wire goes down a plastic sleeve, then it just pulls out. If it feels like it is going to break, then don't continue pulling on it. Get a picture, and eMail it to me before you do any damage.

vary had to say with only looking at it. but it's a ground wire. from there description one would say they are using the shaft in the circuit.

repair the turn signal switch

Hi
The wire feels like it is attached to a spring. I did not want to pull it out yet as it turns out I don't have a good replacement switch. Spare switch I have is untested for core only that I got long time ago so probably no good.

Do anyone know who repairs these switches?
Thanks Ricky

I have searched for you for anyone that repairs the turn signal switch, and have found none. The best advise that I did find, was the following...

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TAKE APART THE TURN SIGNAL SWITCH UNLESS YOU ARE VERY GOOD AT WORKING WITH EXTREMELY SMALL PARTS. THE SWITCH IS NOT DESIGNED TO BE REPAIRD. IF YOU ARE GOOD AT SMALL PARTS REPAIRS THEN YOU CAN CERTAINLY DO IT BUT BE WARNED THAT YOU MIGHT NOT GET IT BACK TOGETHER IF YOU TAKE IT APART.

CaddyDaddy has a NOS one on their website, along with pictures of the switch. Possibly the pictures will assist you in determining what the problem is with yours. If it is that one of the "ears" has broken off from the top of the switch, you can replace the "ears" by drilling out the rivet that holds it, and replacing it. A new part is available on ebay or your local auto parts store. The one in my Chrysler had broken ears, and it was an easy fix. Click this link for their page.

Part number 1480858 group 2.895

Back