'63 390 differences

Trying to diagnose an issue.

Valves, rocker arms, heads, compression, and connecting rods were the same as '62. With the '63 redesign, were lifters and pushrods the same though? Can't readily locate an answer online. Thanks.

The 63 390 was a new block design unlike the previous 365/390. In 64 they punched it out to 429 CI with VERY thin cylinder walls. From past experiences
63 motor parts are hard to find as they are one year only parts. Good luck on your search. A 63 parts and or service manual would be a huge help.

I'd ask over on the Cadillac/LaSalle board..... http://cadillaclasalleclub.org/

Push rods are 1963 to 1966........... valve lifters are 1958 to 1966 (type HL-15)... this is from the GM Cadillac parts manual.. In looking at individual parts, generally speaking there are a lot of parts that fit into that 1963 to 1966 that are the same on the engine. Best to check by comparison the individual part to know for certain...

'49 331, '57 365, '59 to '62 390===> all the same block, different bores. Since they could not bore it out any more, they made a thicker block. so..
The '63 block is a 429 block only made to be 390, insead of using it a couple years like before, this was only done one year and the 429 was done thereafter. They couldnt get the complete engine done for '63 so they reused the previous year heads but used the "new" block design.

so,

Lifters same and pushrods are different due to block design. Check Kanter.com for prices.

Hey Atti,

Try this address and 'free to join" it's helped me a great deal in working on my '64.

Cadillac_6364_club@yahoogroups.com

It's specific to 1963 and 1964 model years and has answered a plethora of questions and helped me acquire parts.

Hope it helps!

Rick :D

Back