Question on Superior Ambulance Curtains

Kurt Arends

PCS Elected Director 2021-2024
My '75 Superior 54" ambulance came with non-original airline-style curtains in a fabric that is totally incorrect. They will work well for patterns however. My quarter window drapery panels are one continuous panel on each side. I assume that this is incorrect. How many separate drapery panels should there be on each of the two quarter windows on '71 thru '76 Superior ambulances?? My question is only in regard to the quarter windows.

Kurt, you should have ten panels for your car. I'll get some photos of my '72 54" curtains if you like. PM me your email. Pretty sure mine are OE in an off-white muslin. Nice thing about them vs. hearse drapes is you can toss them in the washer to brighten up your rear compartment, plus this type fabric I'm sure is cheaper than the heavier and thicker hearse material-I'm on a search for that for another car. Given the unusual setup of your car it's conceivable that the buyer wanted a one-piece quarter window curtain-sorta gives the frosted glass appearance of some European coaches.

Last edited:
My '74 Superior combination also has 2 piece curtains in every window...

20140419_190530_zps082da5de.jpg

Given the history of the 75 ambulance you have Kurt, the one piece could be original to the ambulance. I believe that when it was ordered is might have been built as least expensive as possible for export. It it was a very down graded ambulance when built. I think it may have been put together at the factory with whatever they could find to put it together.

Kurt, here's some interior views of my curtains:

Attachments

• IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0409.jpg
    IMG_0409.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 239
Thanks John! Next question regarding the two quarter window drapery rod attaching brackets: There are 2, unevenly spaced, support brackets in the middle of each of the upper and lower quarter window rods. The front-most brackets on each quarter window are positioned between the front drape and the rear. The rear-most bracket attaches somewhere in the middle of the rear drapery panel. You have to look very closely in your photos to even see these rear brackets as they are almost buried behind the rear drape panel. Here is the question: Is there a stitched hole in your drapes(like a button hole) where the rod clips to the bracket in that spot on each of the 4 panels?

I have finally found a 100% polyester fabric that I believe to be almost exactly like the original material. I have my old (non-original)panels which I am using as patterns for the new drapes, but those just have a ratty tear in the panels at the point where the rod clips to the rear-most support bracket.

I'm thinking on the two panel airplane style, that the panel just slides up to the center support the center support opening goes up on top and down on the bottom and it's the curtains that keep the roads I place. The supports should be across from each other. If they are not centered one panel would need to be longer than the other to accommodate the offset. if like on the 64 model they need additional support brackets, then the curtains had a notch in it to go around the support. But it would only slide open to the support. the slides are simply a folded sleeve that the rod goes threw. Open at either end. Nothing prevents them from sliding either direction or keeps them open or closed, but the friction as they are stretched between the rods.
This is the same set up on any car I have seen with airplane style curtains. The only change from manufactures is the hardware

Kurt, absolutely there are buttonholes on the rear quarter panels that create an opening for the support brackets! I'd forgotten this feature until Steve mentioned them. I'll get some photos of that next trip.

Back