What did this sign sell for?

I was a phone bidder tonight and two floor bidders came stronger than myself. Let's hear what your guesses/thoughts are on this whimsical vintage 20" x 28" painted (not porcelain) Nashville area FH sign before answer is revealed. ;)

bucknerfh.jpg

once again it's not whats it worth, but what did it sell for. I would not be surprised to find out it sold for a million fife. the only reason it would sell for that is because some one wanted to make a point. the point was I can out bid you. the boys at BJ have made quite a living offering these kind of people a outlet for one-ups-mans-ship. of course the key is to be the one selling just at that moment. good luck

I bowed out at $140. Hammer dropped at $160 + 10% buyer's premium = $176.

once again it's not whats it worth, but what did it sell for.

Worth was not posed. Since you brought it up though, when three bidders (or more) are over a certain amount, that amount is indicative of an honest value. Not the same as two bidders getting in a pissing contest.

I bowed out at $140. Hammer dropped at $160 + 10% buyer's premium = $176.

Worth was not posed. Since you brought it up though, when three bidders (or more) are over a certain amount, that amount is indicative of an honest value. Not the same as two bidders getting in a pissing contest.

had they two or more of them and all sold for close to the same amount I can believe worth. but how many others bowed out lower or never even bid ?

I'm sorry a auction never establishes worth.the ability to buy it at auction and walk down town and sell it for enough to recover your money would say it was worth what you paid for it. three guys bidding another 100 watching or just drinking coffee waiting for the thing they wanted to bid on . if ten people dropped out at 140 with you then I would say it was worth 140 to most of the people interested in it there. the fact that 3 people pushed it higher doesn't say what the fair market retail price would be, only what it brought at that sale. a auction is always a pissing contest. that's what they are about. having three guys push one thing at one auction makes them worth more at the next maybe. but only for the seller and the auctioneer. then only till people lose interest in them and something else gets hot. interesting that a few people wanted to pay that much for one wish I had a couple to sell. but I cut all mine up and made patches for floors out of them.

Well, we could argue about what establishes "worth" all day and never get to a point.

George Hamlin related the best explanation once. What's it worth? Whatever you are willing to pay. It was worth $140 to Attila. It was worth $176 to the person who bought it. For the next fellow, it might be worth more, it might be worth less...:my2cents:
Now I realize that doesn't help much for insurance valuation.

Back